Thursday, 25 September 2014

Fajitas


This is a bit of a different post for me, but apart from hospital all I have done is watched an episode of Orange Is The New Black (episode 9, think I'm a bit addicted) and cooked fajitas. I love the taste of fajitas and they're so easy to make, fairly healthy, and the ingredients are quite cheap. I'm vegetarian so I made mine with Quorn chicken pieces, but fajitas are easily made with chicken, or actually taste great with just vegetables. When I get back from a long day at hospital I don't want to take ages cooking, and I can't afford to spend money on expensive food, so fajitas is a good alternative.

Firstly I chopped up a red onion, peppers and mushrooms, and fried the onions along with the Quorn in a frying pan for a few minutes.



I then added the other vegetables, including some sweetcorn, to the pan and cooked them for a short period of time. I bought some Old El Paso Crispy Chicken Fajita Spice Mix and stirred this into the vegetables, frying this mixture for a few more minutes to flavour.


Fajitas

Instead of using tortilla wraps to wrap the mixture in, I just toasted a couple of wholemeal pitta breads - they are cheaper, healthier and easy to warm up. They also hold the vegetables better! I then made a bit of a salad with some houmous, and grated some cheese to add to the top. You can also add some salsa, soured cream or whatever else you like to your fajitas, but I didn't have any so just had them as they were.



I'm going home tomorrow and can't wait! I'm really looking forward to seeing my family and my dogs, and will have more outfit posts over the weekend to put up on the blog. Today I spoke to a lovely elderly lady in hospital, but it turned out that she was suffering with terminal cancer. I found it hard not to cry while I was chatting to her - she really was one of the nicest people I've ever met, and it's so difficult to not get attached. I think it's really important to care for your patients as if they were part of your family so that they get the best treatment, but that also makes it really hard to deal with devastating news. However I'm really glad that I got the chance to meet her and have a conversation with her as she was such an interesting person. Afterwards I went to the library, fell asleep, and suddenly woke up an hour later with a very attractive dent on my head. I'm sure the librarians must think that all medical students are lazy, the amount of people that doze in there!

Hannah x

You can't have a better tomorrow if you don't stop thinking about yesterday.

1 comment: