Friday, 5 September 2014

Love your curves and all your edges









Top - Primark
Jeans - Topshop
Jacket - Vintage
Shoes - Urban Angel (Similar)
Choker - eBay

After uni today I got the train home, as I have got a few things on over the weekend, and also need to pick my bike up. I went to see my counsellor this evening, and we were talking about self-esteem, as mine is very low - we think this may be one of the causes of my depression. She has told me not to focus on the things I don't like about myself superficially, but instead to focus on what makes up my character and personality; for example the fact that I am very caring. She also said that whenever I have a negative thought about myself I should challenge it and think more rationally. So if I think one day, "I am fat" - I would then have to think of evidence against this, such as the fact that no one has ever called me fat or overweight. Some people find it useful to chant things like "I am beautiful" or "I look good today" at themselves in the mirror, but personally I find this a little fake and never believe myself anyway. If this works for you, then great! I am hoping that the tips my counsellor has taught me will help me to build on my self-esteem, along with thinking about any compliments that people give me. Everyone should be much kinder to themselves; after all we only get one body and it does amazing things for us. It takes over 10 muscles just to smile, and these muscles all have to contract at the same time, following many electrical signals through your nerves from your brain - and it all happens instantly. A smile makes you much more approachable than a beautiful face does - people will instantly find you friendly and will feel comfortable getting to know you. So next time you're feeling self-conscious about yourself in a crowd of people, try smiling - it's incredible what such a small gesture can do.

This evening I have watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire with my sister, whilst eating lots of chocolate. I am absolutely exhausted after my week back at uni, so I can't wait for a lie in and breakfast in bed in the morning (hint hint mum...)

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment