Thursday, 18 September 2014

Teddy Bear Hospital


Today seems to be one of those weird days where I've been all over the place but don't feel like I've been overly productive. Today I had the day of hospital so I got a whole extra two hours in bed (okay it was only until 8am, but it still felt like heaven). I was in university this morning for a couple of hours, and then I came back home; cried at DIY SOS: The Big Build; and then slept for about three hours, after revising a bit about gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Fun.

This evening I went to a meeting for a new GP society that the medical students are setting up, where I am going to be part of the committee. I am also on the committee for Teddy Bear Hospital, and attended a meeting for that afterwards. Teddy Bear Hospital aims to reduce children's fear of hospitals and medical treatments, whereby volunteers go into schools and extra-curricular groups and teach the students about what goes on in medical environments. The children bring along their teddies, which receive treatment off the teddy doctors (medical students), and are also taught a little about the body, calling an ambulance, and healthy eating. This year we are also aiming to teach CPR to some of the older students, as we believe that everyone should have a basic understanding of it by the time they leave primary school. I'm really excited about what we have planned for this year, and can't wait to start getting stuck into it properly!

If you want to contact us about Teddy Bear Hospital events, or if you are a Liverpool Medical Student and want to get involved (it looks great on your CV), contact us as below. We give training to everyone; even if you have no experience with kids give it a go!

Twitter: liverpooltbh

Afterwards I realised that I hadn't eaten tea, so I devoured two pitta breads dipped in Nutella, and am now ready to sleep before another long day in hospital tomorrow. Roll on the weekend!

Hannah x

You have forgotten yourself and so you have forgotten me. Look inside yourself Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life. Remember who you are.
                 - Mufasa

No comments:

Post a Comment