Sunday, 12 October 2014

100th Blog Post!







So this is my 100th blog post! I can't believe I've made it this far - at first this just started out as a little project to try and help myself with my depression by writing about something I enjoy doing every day, but I have had so much support from it that I decided to carry on. And I couldn't have done it without my readers, so thank you all so much for supporting me!

Unfortunately these cakes aren't in celebration of my 100th blog post - they are made by my housemate Maya, who is an amazing cook, for an event for Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) at the university on Tuesday evening. She made a Nutella and strawberry cake, and a carrot and banana cake, along with some little banana and carrot cupcakes with the cake mix that was left over. We get to have a couple of cupcakes, but I'm so jealous of everyone attending the event as you'll get to try her cakes! Kelly and I believe that we're very good housemates because we ate the left-over Nutella icing... well, it's best not to waste it, right?

I feel like this blog is one of the biggest reasons that my depression has improved so much over the past few months. Just having a platform to write my feelings down and explain to others about what depression is has helped a lot. I have also gained a lot of support from people that didn't know about my depression prior to this blog, and feel like I can be much more open about my feelings and experiences to help myself as well as others.

Some of my posts over the last few months have been really difficult to write - the one about suicidal thoughts was the worst, but I hope that it has helped individuals open up about how they are feeling, or helped others understand a bit more about suicide. Some have also been really positive; I enjoyed writing the post 'What is happiness?', and also writing about how much better I have been feeling recently. One of my favourite posts was writing about being a medical student, as it is something that I'm really proud of as I worked so hard to get here, and that always makes me feel good as it's such an amazing degree to be part of. 10 random facts about me was also really fun to think about, as it meant I really had to analyse myself and think about what is slightly different about me.

I would really encourage anyone to set up a blog about anything at all - it's incredible how much support you can gain, and how much you can help people. If there is something you're passionate about, or something you feel that needs to be said, blogging is a great platform to spread your message. It has helped me so much, and I hope it continues to improve my mood and my lifestyle, whilst helping me to discover so much more about myself and my strengths.

Hannah x

Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
                              - John Jakes

No comments:

Post a Comment