Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Baby it's cold outside

Primark Rabbit Pyjamas



Is it just me or has it got really cold over the last few days in the UK? Although sometimes Liverpool can be a bit of an exception - I can't walk 10 metres down the street without my umbrella blowing inside-out and my hair looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards. I am in hospital again this week, this time on a neurology placement, so when I got home I got into this fleecy pyjama sweater and some warm pj trousers and snuggled into bed to do some work. Bad idea - I fell asleep (as usual). I seem to be able to sleep anywhere and everywhere at the moment, and can't keep my eyes open for very long at all. You know that awkward moment when your head violently jerks but you try to cover up the fact that you were falling asleep by opening your eyes really wide? Yeah, I have that all the time at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's due to sleep deprivation, my work load, or an extension of my depression, but it's very annoying!

Anyway, how cute is this pyjama top? Primark have some amazing pyjama sets at the moment - I love it when it comes round to Winter and you have an excuse to buy loads. I also bought a little set with foxes on the shorts - so adorable! I spent the rest of my day procrastinating and watching the new episode of The Walking Dead (soooo good!), whilst learning a little bit about tremors and Parkinson's disease. This evening I'm going to watch The Apprentice and get an early night's sleep. I feel like all I talk about here at the moment is TV, but there really are some very good programmes around at the moment!

After watching this TED talk about depression, it made me think about how writing this blog has changed how people perceive me. To begin with I thought that it would make people treat me differently and tip-toe around me, which I really didn't want. Yes, it has made people treat me differently, but amazingly only in the way that they are more open with me. I have had so many people tell me that they have been suffering with similar symptoms, and I feel privileged that individuals feel that they can contact me about their mental health, and trust me enough to tell me their private stories. Andrew Solomon also discussed alternative forms of treatment in this talk. Like I've mentioned before, this blog really is one of the things that has helped me the most. He also said, "those that can tolerate their depression, are the ones who achieve resilience" - individuals must accept that they are suffering with depression to beat it, and to move on. I think it's really important to talk to people about it; to spread the message that it's okay to be depressed. I really believe that I wouldn't be here right now without the incredible support I have had from my family and friends, and the people that have supported me via my blog. It has made me realise that I have something to live for, even the small things we take for granted: I want to feel the sun on my face again; I want to taste chocolate in the future; and most of all, I want that amazing feeling of being happy.

Hannah x

In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.
                                     - Coco Chanel

2 comments:

  1. You look lovely, I adore your sweater! Cosy and warm!
    I love how honest you are about depression. You are an inspiration! I hope you enjoy every piece of chocolate you'll ever eat! :)

    www.writingmonique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so lovely to hear! I think everyone should enjoy every piece of chocolate they ever eat, and appreciate all of the small things in life :) x

      Delete