Monday, 3 November 2014

Hello, my name's Hannah and I'm a... surgeon?








Top - Wrangler (Vintage)
Jacket - Vintage
Jeans - Topshop
Scarf - New Look
Trainers - Primark
Tattoo Choker - New Look
Diplodocus Choker - Lofthouse Jewellery

This outfit is from Friday, when I had a wander around the shops with my sister.

Before today I had never contemplated surgery as a career - I always thought I would probably end up as a GP for an easier lifestyle. However I was in a 6 hour surgery where a child's skull was basically taken out and re-shaped today, and I found myself quite engrossed - so much so that the 6 hours flew by. I have a real interest in the brain and what it does, so seeing an operation that had to be carried out so delicately as to not damage the brain was really interesting. I also got to scrub up and assist with some of the surgery - I started off squirting water and ended up using the drill to make a few holes in the skull, which I think made it all the more enthralling.

But however good I found surgery today, I still don't think I'm quite cut out to do it as a job. I enjoy talking to patients and seeing loads of different cases, so I think I would be more suited as a medic. It was incredible to be able to come out and say that I helped with 'non-brain brain surgery' as one of the surgeons dubbed it, but I still don't think I could do it every day of my working life. The work that surgeons carry out is amazing, and it makes me appreciate them all the more seeing it on a first hand basis.

Hannah x

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
                                                              - Audrey Hepburn

2 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing experience! Not many people can say they've done that! Love your scarf x

    www.alittlefreckle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was quite surreal! Thank you Emma :) xx

      Delete