Tuesday, 11 November 2014

How to get through losing someone



You know what, it's so hard when you lose someone from your life. When it is someone that you were really close to, it's even harder. When small things remind you of them and make you cry for no reason; when you think of memories and laugh, then realise you don't have that person to share them with anymore. Seeing them move on with their life without you, creating amazing new memories that you won't be a part of. It's a physical ache in your chest, and it's ridiculously difficult to get through. But you can do it - it's a cliche but it does get better with time. Stop checking their social media, surround yourself with friends and family that make you feel good, and keep yourself busy. You can get through losing someone, it may just take a long time. Those memories will always be there to stay, and in a couple of years time you'll look back on them fondly, instead of them bringing the pain that they do now. Just be thankful that you once had that person in your life, and think about the happiness they brought you during that time, no matter how long or short.

If I'm honest with myself, I am struggling at the moment. I keep myself busy so that I can try and ignore it but it's really hard. I feel like I'm almost trying to run away from my depression sometimes, but I always know that eventually it will catch up with me. So yes, I am struggling - but I keep going at the same time, which is the main thing I guess.

Keep believing in yourself, that's the most important thing. Be proud of yourself - I've proud of where I've got with my life at the age of 21: I am studying an amazing degree that I love; I post on my blog every day, admitting to struggling with my depression to practically everyone I know; and I have a loving circle of family and friends that appreciate me for being me. I'm in such a better place than where I was a few months ago, and that's primarily down to how I've helped myself, as well as with a lot of support along the way. I'm proud of how much I have achieved in the last couple of years - especially how I have grown into a person that I'm actually beginning to realise is good and kind and friendly. And it's an amazing feeling being able to look in the mirror and not hate myself, which is what I have struggled with for years. I never felt worthy of being here, but now I am realising that I can make a difference in this world, no matter how small - even just with the few people that I have helped by setting up this blog. At the end of the day, you have to go to sleep with your own thoughts, and you can make yourself proud. You can do anything you want to do - you just have to want it enough and be prepared to work hard for it.

Hannah x

You, yourself, just as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
                                              - Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment