Sunday, 9 November 2014

How to get to sleep faster

How to get to sleep faster


If you're anything like me, you'll struggle to get off to sleep quickly. I often find myself lying in bed for hours, frustratingly tossing and turning whilst my mind whirs and won't let me drop off to sleep. So I thought I'd share a few tips about what I've found that helps me to get to sleep faster.

Candles
I often find that lighting a couple of candles whilst I'm relaxing before bed helps me to get off to sleep. I'm particularly enjoying this Primark pineapple and ginger candle at the moment, but will definitely be switching to more autumnal scents soon. Even unscented candles help to turn your bedroom into a relaxing space, and the natural lighting will help your body become more sleepy.

Read
I usually always read a book before I go to sleep - again it helps me to relax and I find my eyes drooping soon enough. I also pick up a book if I've been trying to get to sleep for a long time but can't; this seems to help too. Although it can be counter-productive when you get so into a book that you don't want to put it down!

Turn off the electricals
The harsh blue light that your electrical items, such as TVs, computers and mobiles, emit stops you from being able to get to sleep as they keep your body awake. Try not to use them at least half an hour before you try to sleep - it will make a big difference.

Sleep Balm
I was a bit sceptical about sleep balms, but then I tried This Works Sleep Balm, which smells like lavender. I put a bit on my nose and pulse points before I get into bed, and I'm sure it helps me to get to sleep quicker (although this could be a bit of a placebo effect!). It smells lovely so I would definitely recommend it.

Think of something really boring
This may sound slightly strange, but I often imagine my forehead when I'm trying to get to sleep. I try to focus on it and block every other thought out, and think about the shape of it and the smoothness of the skin. It's really boring, so I often find myself dropping off fairly quickly! It can be very difficult to block out every other thought, but try and focus on your one boring thought and your breathing, and you will master it soon enough.

Hope some of these ideas help people! If you have any tips please let me know, I'm always open to trying new things to help me sleep.

Today I had a bit of a lie-in and then did some work. This evening I'm going to Alma de Cuba for a friend's birthday, so will do a bit of a review on that tomorrow.

Hannah x

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment