Thursday, 29 January 2015

How to get up in the mornings


 If you're anything like me, you'll struggle to get yourself up in the mornings. Due to my depression I am exhausted a lot of the time and find it really difficult to motivate myself to get out of bed, but here are a few tips I've tried that sometimes make it that little bit easier.


GIVE YOURSELF A TREAT
Something simple like your favourite breakfast cereal or a shower gel or moisturiser you enjoy using can make getting out of bed slightly more pleasurable as you have something to look forward to. I always choose to have crunchy nut cornflakes on days where I'm feeling a bit down (and Nutella with pancakes is always a good choice too if you have time). Even some make-up or an outfit that makes you feel a little bit special can really help to get you up.

TAKE IT ONE STEP AT A TIME
Focus only on what you have got to do next, rather than thinking about the day to come. Think, "right, I'll just get out of bed and get dressed/have a shower/get breakfast" - breaking it down can make it much less daunting and make the day seem slightly easier.

BE CLEVER WITH YOUR ALARM
Like listening to music? Get an alarm clock radio that you can listen to as you get out of bed. Or set multiple alarms to make sure you definitely get up. One trick I often use is setting my alarm 15 minutes earlier than I have to get up, whilst also setting an alarm for the time I should be getting up. I can then ignore the first alarm and it feels like I am getting an extra 15 minutes of sleep - which makes it easier when I eventually have to pull myself out of bed.

SUPPORT FROM LOVED ONES
My Mum often texts me in the morning to say she hopes I have a nice day and that she loves me, and that really helps me to face the day as I'm reminded that I'm not alone. You could ask someone to give you a brief call in the mornings to prepare for the day ahead, or just have someone there that you know you can turn to at any moment in the day if you need it. Knowing that you have some support if things get ugly can work wonders with depression.

DRINK WATER BEFORE BED
This may sound weird, but it will mean that you will need to go to the toilet when you wake up. And then you'll be out of bed already, so won't need to get back in again.

GO TO BED EARLIER
Perhaps one of the most obvious items on this list, but also one of the most important. Go to bed earlier and you will feel less tired in the morning, making it easier to get up. I am one of those people that needs at least 8 hours of sleep a night, so I work out what time I should go to sleep depending on when I have to be up, and try and be in bed at least half an hour before that so I can wind down with a good book.

I hope these tips help people drag themselves out of bed in the mornings! It's slightly ironic as I didn't manage to get up until 1pm today, but most of the time these tips work for me if I really try hard. If all else fails, don't beat yourself up about it - sometimes you just need a day to recover sleeping in bed.
For a brief moment in time, you were a moment in someone's life. A mere extra, passing through their thoughts in milliseconds, but milliseconds of their story nonetheless. For every person you've exchanged eye contact with, you have made a contribution to their existence, be it significant or not.
                       - MaleCra



4 comments:

  1. Lovely post Hannah :)
    You should definitely put yourself up for the BMA blog competition!

    https://communities.bma.org.uk/community_focus/b/student_opinion/archive/2015/01/29/calling-all-medical-students-want-to-win-a-75-cash-prize?utm_source=The+British+Medical+Association&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5265829_NEW14S1+STUDENT+ENEWSLETTER+290115&utm_content=winning+blog+header&dm_i=JVX,34V51,HSPJTJ,B8JI2,1

    Kate xx
    http://thecuriouskate.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you for letting me know about the competition - I may well enter!

      Hannah xx

      Delete
  2. I found this post so helpful :) I feel like I'm at a pretty ok place right now but I wish I'd tried some of these things during the times when getting out of bed seemed like the the hardest task in the world xx

    Magpie Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine, I'm glad you're in a good place at the moment, keep going! :) And I guess if you ever struggle again with getting up, these tips will always be there.

      Hannah xx

      Delete