Thursday, 30 April 2015

14,000 things to be happy about

14000 things to be happy about Barbara Ann Kipfer
14000 things to be happy about book

14,000 Things to be Happy About by Barbara Ann Kipfer

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago off Amazon after seeing it reviewed on another blog and thinking the idea of it was really lovely. It is written by Barbara Ann Kipfer and represents 50 years of recording all of the little things that make her happy, of which some were compiled into a list and made into this book. I really like this idea because it really is the little things that make the biggest difference, and with this book you can just flick open a page and find something that reminds you why life is worth living.

It is definitely American as I don't understand all of the things in there (what are Dairy Queen Dilly Bars?!) but each page has something that makes me smile. Some that I have found only today are:
- sunshine coming through a window
- the "snuggle right in" feeling
- when you arrive at your destination just as a great song ends on the radio 
- a sofa ideal for vegging out and for chats with your legs curled up under you
- playing favourite records and dancing wildly in the living room

Reading all of these really makes me smile and actually lifts my mood! I will definitely be flicking through this book in the future when I need a bit of a pick-me-up.


This book has actually inspired me to start my own list of things to be happy about as I think it's a really nice way to end the day and appreciate life more, whilst keeping yourself in the present. So I dug out one of my favourite handmade Paperchase notebooks that I've never used and started making a list (with my Stabilo pen from the NW Bloggers Meet Up goody bag, which I love). I've set myself a target of writing at least 3 new things on the list every day - and I've actually decided to use these to replace my Project Smile quote at the end of every blog post. I've used so many quotes now and it's sometimes rather difficult to find a new one, so instead you will have a few things to be happy about at the end instead. Let me know what you think about this idea!

I didn't have a great start to the day today - I found it incredibly difficult to get out of bed and ended up waking up properly about half 2 this afternoon. I think I just needed a good amount of time in bed, as I did end up doing a fair amount of work this afternoon and have been fairly productive. I just know my limitations now and know with my depression when I should stop pushing myself and let my exhausted body recuperate! I am also now only £40 off my £400 target for my skydive fundraising for Mind as my amazing parents and Grandparents both donated £50 towards it each - I'm not gonna lie, I cried when I found out! Thank you so much, I love you all lots and lots!!
- The smell of bread baking
- Wearing your favourite outfit and feeling amazing
- Trying on jeans and them fitting straight away




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds Iike an inspiring book, its easy to forget its the little things in life that can make the difference sometime. I love your #projectsmile quotes at the end of your posts, I'll have read up more about this its a great idea - and totally agree with you about the jeans :)

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me
    Shropshire Bloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really is, I love it! Thank you Angela :) xx

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to purchase this book, it's definitely about appreciating the smaller things in life which make me happy. I would love to include this in my notebook, really great things to think about :)

    Hope you're well Hannah x

    Emmie | http://www.carpediememmie.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete