Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Guest Post: Anxiety


I recently decided that I would like to expand my blog a little to get other peoples' perspectives on mental illnesses as there's only so much I can say about depression and what I know about it. Each person's experience of mental illness is different. So I got in contact with Emma from Emma-Hope Newitt, who blogs about dance, her experiences with anxiety, and other lifestyle-related posts on her lovely blog. I sent her a few questions to answer and here is what she said...



1) I understand that you unfortunately suffer with anxiety. How long has that been for?

When I look back I have always had aspects of anxiety. One thing in particular is that when I was younger and would go to my friends for a sleepover, instead of being really excited and planning how we'll spend the night.. I would get there and feel sick to my stomach and wouldn't be able to sleep. This would either result in me ringing my parents at stupid o'clock to get into my own bed or just not sleeping at all. I wish I understood it all those years ago! I was only diagnosed last January.  

2) Can you tell me a bit about how it feels to suffer with anxiety? 

I think it feels different for every person. Whenever I am experiencing a spout of anxiety, I get the worse uncomfortable stomach and start to feel like I will either throw up or pass out. I usually try and control my breaths or find somewhere to get some air :) I definitely get clammy hands and my heart starts to beat VERY FAST and I find it hard to try and control it quickly.

3) How do you manage your anxiety?

I manage it in all sorts of ways. I talk about it more now so I don't feel embarrassed or pressured to stay somewhere where I am not comfortable. If I need to get some air, I will usually go and do so. I am also on medication, one called Propranolol. I used to not get on well with medication AT ALL and I would feel worse, since having a different dosage it's easier to manage and deal with using.

4) Have you found that there is much stigma around anxiety and mental illnesses in general?


YES like with most 'invisible' illnesses there comes with it some sort of stigma that because what I suffer from isn't cosmetic, can't be seen aesthetically that it isn't as difficult as an illness which is visible. There are significant moments when I really don't like the way anxiety is spoken about, like when people don't consider me a 'anxious' person.. should that mean that I shouldn't be an anxious person and completely hide it away?! I just think that it needs to continue being spoken about :)

You can read more from Emma on http://emmahopenewitt.blogspot.co.uk/ or follow her on Twitter @EmmaHopeNewitt, Bloglovin or Instagram @emmiehopee

Thank you for answering my questions Emma, I really hope that they will help at least one person on here, or redirect them to your blog. I am always looking for anyone to write their views on any part of mental health that they feel strongly about (you don't have to be a blogger!) - if you would like to write a post for me please email me at hannahvenables19@gmail.com.
The ones who say "you can't" and "you won't" are probably the ones scared that "you will".




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

7 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea! Sharing stories, opinions and experiences is the best way to make us feel less alone. Great post, Hannah xxx

    Sam | Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it, I wanted to share my story with Hannah as she's one of the most loveliest people and hopefully so others can see & share their stories :) xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sam! I'm so glad that Emma wrote this post for me - I really think it will help those that suffer with anxiety. Always looking for guest bloggers! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hey babe, how are you?
    Great post though, i love it, thanks for sharing..
    Follow back if you don't mind.. :P

    Visit me whenever you have time;
    www.its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk

    Anyway have a good day!
    Stay in touch.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post and I'll be heading over to Emma's blog now. I wouldn't have considered myself an anxious person at all - in fact at school I was always the most relaxed person calming everyone else down! But that didn't stop me from being diagnosed and treated for depression and anxiety. I'm glad to hear that you've found ways to cope, Emma
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I hope you enjoyed the post and it gave you some insight :) It's come out loads now since the day of Zoella opening up. It's crazy to think the calmest and most natural people are those who suffer the biggest battles :|. I hope you'll find comfort in this post. xxx

      Delete
    2. Emma has some great posts about anxiety - you should definitely check them out, they have taught me a lot xx

      Delete