Sunday, 5 April 2015

#NWbloggersmeetup Lip balms


If you read my #NWbloggersmeetup post from a couple of weeks ago, you will have seen that we were given an amazing goody bag. I'm a sucker for lip balms - I must own about 30 (yes, really) and am constantly applying them to keep my lips moisturised. I always have at least one with me - once I counted 6 in my bag as I must have just kept throwing them in! Most days I don't bother with lipstick; I'll just put on a good lip balm instead. So I was overjoyed to receive 6 new ones at the #NWbloggersmeetup event, and have been trying them all out over the past few weeks.




Oh, how sweet is this one?! This is definitely my favourite packaging of the lot as I am obsessed with pineapples. It was donated by one of my favourite shops in Liverpool, Utility, and is flavoured like Pina Colada and contains SPF 15, which will be perfect for my summer holidays. It really does taste like pineapple and coconut, maybe slightly more coconutty, and has a lovely soft but not too think consistency. Plus it's a bargain at £3.99!

On a side note, I think I generally am obsessed with pineapples at the moment. I have so many items of clothing with pineapple print on, and have my eye on this pineapple money box from Utility. Maybe someone should stage an intervention soon?



The packaging of these lip balms reminds me a little of the Maybelline Baby Lips that everyone raves over. I love lip balms like this that come in a stick; they apply really easily and I think it's a little more hygienic than putting your finger in a pot. These Blistex Happy Lips come in strawberry and mango flavours, and are priced at £2.49 each which is really reasonable. The scents are very strong which I love in a lip product (although I usually end up licking it off) - I think my favourite is the mango as I don't have another mango lip balm and it's one of my favourite scents. However the strawberry one makes me all nostalgic takes me back to my teens when I was obsessed with the Lip Smacker lip balms as it smells very similar - does anyone remember those?! I actually think I prefer these to the Baby Lips as they seem to stay on for longer and I think I prefer the scents. These don't contain any SPF so I will probably use them more now when there is less sun around, but nevertheless I am really enjoying using them and think they are great products.



I have always been intrigued by the Balmi lip balms and wanted to try them, but have just never got round to it. I think they have really fun packaging with sort of a rubbery cube, and I love how the actual lip product is a little conical pyramid inside when you twist the lid off - more hygienic than tubs again and it applies really easily. I received the coconut flavour which I adore - it has a fairly strong scent that reminds me of summer holidays. And it contains SPF 15 which will be perfect when the sun starts shining properly. The Balmi lip balms also come in strawberry, raspberry, mint and blackcurrant, and I am very tempted to buy another. They are a little more pricey at £4.99 each, but I definitely think that they are worth it. They are also sold in cute little see-through baubles, which I really think is a good idea for packaging, and they all have a string so that they could be attached to a set of keys if you wanted them to be. The only downside to the coconut one is that the packaging gets dirty really easily as it is white - I've only had it in my bag a couple of days and it already has some dark smudges on it.



This little tube is multi-purpose: as well as moisturising lips it can be used as a cuticle ointment; split end soother; lip and mascara primer; eyebrow balm; to soothe rashes; or as a body moisturiser for dry skin. I have to say that I have only used it on my lips so far, but the range of uses is very impressive. The balm contains lanolin, which is a natural emollient extracted from sheep's wool, so is the most natural lip balm I received and would probably be the best for more sensitive skin. It claims to give 8 hours of moisturisation, and I really do believe that. It has a very thick texture (a bit like Vaseline) which made it quite difficult to squeeze it out of the tube, so it does recommend warming it a bit between the hands or in some hot water first. I didn't particularly like the texture to start with but it has grown on me, although I always go for lip balms with some scent and this one doesn't have any.

However I think it would be an amazing product for anyone that suffers with dry skin or eczema, as the texture is really hydrating. I will definitely be using it on my dry elbows and will use it to smooth out my unruly eyebrows, but think I will be sticking to other products for my lips, unless they become really chapped and dry. The #LipGlam lip balm also costs £9.99 which is rather expensive, but I do think it would be worth it if you suffer with very dry skin and can't find any other products to soothe it.



This lip balm has. My. Face. On. It!! I thought it was so sweet how Sweet Cecily's took the time to print a sticker for each blogger for their lip balm. All of Sweet Cecily's products are handmade and natural, with no SLS or parabens within them. I think this was my favourite scent out of all of the lip balms; it really does smell minty like a mojito! You have to rub the product in the tin for a while to get enough balm on your finger for your lips, but I don't really mind that. The mojito lip balm is priced at a very reasonable £2.95, but you can also buy a personalised lip balm for £4.25 and get a photo or some text printed on the front of the tin if you wish, and choose which flavour(s) you would like, which I think would be perfect for a gift or as wedding favours. I am very impressed with Sweet Cecily's and really want to try their banoffee flavoured lip balm or their pink clay face mask next (ooh also check out this pamper pack). Their packaging is so lovely!

I am so lucky to have been able to try out all of these products and really do think each one has its own perks. If I had to choose my favourite it would probably be either the Sweet Cecily's lip balm or the Balmi cube. Both of them are very individual and something new.
Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace.




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

2 comments: