Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Year of Happy: April (Sort of)


The prompt for April's Year of Happy was:

"Make something that you find beautiful - it could be anything! A decoration, a dress, a cake, hey, even a baby! Share what you made and why it is beautiful to you."

I was quite stuck on what to do for this month. I'm not particularly crafty or good at DIY and a baby is definitely off the cards at the moment! So I went for the easy option (soz) and decided to bake a couple of cakes. I needed to bake some anyway because tonight we had another Teddy Bear Hospital social like this one from before Christmas, which included cakes baked by the committee and a quiz. We managed to raise £80 for Claire House Children's Hospice - thank you everyone for coming along!

I decided to bake a coffee and walnut cake and a chocolate cake and both of them turned out really well, if I do say so myself! I used this recipe for the coffee cake and this one for the chocolate cake, although I changed the icing to chocolate buttercream instead. I found that the coffee cake didn't rise that well, so would recommend adding a bit of baking powder in. I was going to take some photos of the process of making them, but I'm really not an elegant baker and I didn't think you'd all want to see pictures of me with cocoa powder and flour all down me. Not the most photogenic image ever - I don't know how bloggers manage to make baking process photos look so good! Baking is actually really therapeutic and helps take my mind off things - I definitely think I'll try it in the future if I'm feeling down (watch me get really fat now).

Today has been really good - I have been feeling very positive, which I think is because I've been so busy. I was on placement this morning and then had to go into uni this afternoon, and with this social this evening and a chat with my friend afterwards I feel like I haven't had much time to stop and breathe! I'm so much better when I'm busy, I really need to remember that when I feel like having a day in bed.
Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we'll ever do.




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment