Monday, 4 May 2015

Having my sister back


My middle sister, Katie, has been off gallivanting in Canada for the past month and finally returned home to us today. I don't think I quite realised how much I'd missed her until she came through arrivals and I burst into tears - a lot seems to have happened since she left, so we spent the rest of the day catching up. She told us all about her time in Canada and her visit to New York, and got us astounded over some of the food she'd brought back with her - the cheesy goldfish crackers are amazing (plus you can't go wrong with Reese's). Plus she brought me back a pair of moose socks. Yes, a pair of socks with moose on them. Can't go far wrong with those.

Afterwards we played a new board game that we picked up recently, called 'The Best of British'. It is from the Logo Board Game family, which is one of my favourite games, and you get around the board by answering questions about all things British. We got asked about lollipop ladies, nursery rhymes, double decker buses, and even fish and chips. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for something to play as a family. I really love playing board games - it gives us an hour or so as a family to sit down and spend together, without any distractions like the TV or social media, and is something we've always done if we have a bit of spare time. Although monopoly isn't such a good idea - read why here.

This evening we watched a new documentary on Channel 4 called The Stranger on the Bridge. It is about a man called Jonny Benjamin, who attempted to jump off Waterloo Bridge in 2008, but was talked out of doing it by a stranger. The hour-long programme is focused on Jonny trying to find this stranger and thank him for saving his life. I found some of the things said throughout the documentary about mental health really reverberated with me - I could really relate to it and it made me realise that I am not on my own with how I feel. It also shows how far a random act of kindness can go. But I think the biggest thing that I took from The Stranger on the Bridge was how important it is to talk about how you're feeling - communication is one of the biggest things that can prevent suicides and self-harm from happening. And that there really are some incredibly selfless people in the world.
- Sunflowers
- Seeing a loved one that you haven't seen for a while and having loads to talk about
- Snuggling up in a warm bed after a long day




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

2 comments:

  1. My family and I love playing board games together too.
    Will definitely keep an eye out for this one, hoping to find it on offer somewhere!
    Rosie
    x
    www.anenglishrosie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would - the logo game is really good too! xx

      Delete