Saturday, 23 May 2015

So today I jumped out of a plane...

So today I ACTUALLY got to do my skydive that I've been mentioning for months, after it being cancelled twice!! We went to Tilstock Parachute Club near Whitchurch in Shropshire and had our training, before being suited up in rather attractive jumpsuits and hats that made us look like Squidward out of Spongebob Squarepants...


Mum was expecting Dad to appear looking like Tom Cruise, but I think she was slightly disappointed.


After we were suited up we got into the rickety aeroplane and flew for about 20 minutes before our actual jump. The views were amazing - we could see all the way to Liverpool and Snowdonia. When we got way above the clouds at 10,000 feet, the door was opened and it was time to butt shuffle to the door and jump out. The freefall went so quickly but was incredible; probably one of the best things I've ever done. We fell through the clouds at around 180mph and suddenly it was time to deploy the parachute.


Our instructors gave us the chance to take control of the parachute, so we span around a few times (which yes, did make me feel slightly nauseous!), before floating down towards the airfield. I say floating down, we were travelling at around 40mph!


It was then time to land, which I messed up a little and ended up with my instructor on my back, faceplanting the floor. Oops.


One of the most hilarious things was how small Dad's instructor was - I'm not quite sure how they paired people up but he was teenie and looked like the size of a large backpack on Dad's back as they were coming down! All-in-all it was an amazing experience and I would definitely be up for doing it again. More importantly, I managed to raise almost £600 for Mind, the mental health charity, so we raised over £1000 between the two of us! So a HUGE thank you to everyone that donated!!! It means such a lot to us and is going to hopefully make a massive difference to some people suffering with their mental health in the future. THANK YOU!!!
Somewhere, someone is looking for exactly what you have to offer.



10 comments:

  1. Well done for how much money you raised! I would love to jump out of a plane, but I fear it would be time to jump and I'd completely bottle it!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! I loved it, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be xx

      Delete
  2. Well done Hannah, a very brave thing to do! And well done with all the money that was raised, I donated a little last month, every little helps. What a brilliant experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dani! Aww thank you so much for your donation :) xx

      Delete
  3. What an amazing thing to do Hannah and very brave!!! I'd be terrified but I can imagine the views really are incredible! You've got some great photos that I'm sure you'll treasure forever :)

    Emma xx // alittlefreckle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! Yes they were amazing, I couldn't believe how far we could see! xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on raising so much for such a great charity! This post is really making me want to skydive again, it's such an amazing experience, luckily I didn't have to wear the suit and just did it in my normal clothes.

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! Me too - I loved it. Haha the suit was not the most flattering thing I've ever worn! xx

      Delete