Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Just keep swimming


Oh wow, I think I'm just starting to appreciate how hard my degree actually is. Today I was in hospital for 8 hours and then came home and had to do some revision, and it's really taken it out of me. I'm really starting to feel the strain of how long this year is - we have been here since the first week of September and haven't had much time off since, and we still have another 5 weeks left of this term. I'm getting a little fed up and exhausted, and have really started to question why I am putting myself through this, especially when I'm suffering with my depression at the moment. I don't think it helped that I locked myself out of my bedroom so I couldn't even come in for a nap when I got home... All I want to do is hide under my duvet and watch Pretty Little Liars on repeat, whilst stuffing myself with chocolate.

I guess the moral of this blog post is, if you really want something you have to work hard to get it. I am so passionate about medicine and am really excited for what it holds for me in the future, and I'm hoping that all of this hard work and break-downs will be worth it. I believe that anyone can do anything; it may just take a lot of hard work and determination to get there. You just need to believe in yourself and 'just keep swimming', as the all-knowledgeable Dory would say.
There are only two options: make progress or make excuses.



6 comments:

  1. Hannah we've all been there. Anyone who has been at uni struggles with feelings like that. You have to remember though that to even has managed to get a place doing medicine means you are so amazing and so clever. I wish I had been able to do it and very few people can. You are so special and I think having been through depression will only serve to make you a far more compassionate and empathetic doctor at the other end of it. Because you've been through it, you have that understanding. That's what makes a great doctor. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Nora, this comment means so much and actually made me a bit teary. I really hope that I can use my experiences to be a better doctor, and just a better person in general xx

      Delete
  2. I've just finished my exams and received my results. I can finally say I'm a final year medical student!! But it's so tough. I've tried to give up twice and had months of coming home from placement in tears. It gets better - honestly. The confidence comes eventually and you kind of miss revising when the holidays come! You're going to be an amazing doctor because you care so much and you can empathise with every patient you meet. Stay strong, sweetie! It'll be worth it in the end! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well done Meg!! I think every medical student has doubts about whether they can do it at one point or another. Thank you so much :) xx

      Delete
  3. I think what you're doing is amazing, Hannah! And even though it doesn't feel like it now, you are doing this because when you've finished, you'll have one of the best jobs in the world! Everyday you will be helping people and what is more rewarding than that? xxx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sam, that means a lot! xxx

      Delete