Friday, 5 June 2015

Paediatrics


Yup that's me, on the right, looking cool as ever. I started my paediatrics placement this week and am actually really enjoying it, although it is long hours and quite intense, especially now we're coming up to the exam period.

I expected to get quite upset over seeing ill children, but actually the ones I've seen so far have generally been not too bad and fairly content. I saw a really sweet 6 month year old baby the other day that was just gurgling along happily in his cot. While I'm on the wards I get the opportunity to talk to some of the patients and examine them if they are happy for me to do so, which has been interesting as children are quite different from adults. Paediatric medicine is a completely separate branch - children are more susceptible to completely different illnesses to older people and have to be treated differently too with lower drug doses. Alongside that there are issues with child protection and ethics as to whether the child has the right to give consent to certain procedures. I have begun to realise that being a doctor is a little like being a detective, and paediatrics has definitely brought this to light. I am quite a curious person so medicine is definitely a good career to satisfy that personality trait!

I'm so glad it's Friday, yet I have a very busy weekend as it is our revision weekend, so we have lectures 9-5 tomorrow and Sunday - getting up at 7.30am on a Saturday is going to be fun. I hope you all have a lovely Saturday!
I exist as I am, that is enough.
                    - Walt Whitman



No comments:

Post a Comment