Thursday, 25 June 2015

Why can't we all give ourselves a little more self-love?


I took part in the #lbloggers chat on Twitter yesterday (@LbloggersChat), and the topic was 'self love'. The first question that was asked was, "Everyone has their favourite bloggers but can you introduce yourself by saying one positive thing about you?". The first thing I thought was "oh Godddd this is such a hard question"... And then I started to notice similar comments coming from lots of the other bloggers, and that saddened me. Why are we so harsh on ourselves, and why is it so much easier to think of negatives than positives?

Women these days are always told to celebrate themselves, to be confident, to love themselves. But then as soon as they are a little more confident and start to believe that they are beautiful, they are seen by society as vain and self-centred.

I think it is drilled into us to be modest from an early age, and for that reason so many people find it much easier to put themselves down rather than celebrate their positives. I ended up saying that my positive was the fact that I try to bring positivity to each day with my blog and my Project Smile quotes and post-it notes. Some of the girls were confident enough to put that they were just an amazing person, and instead of thinking they were arrogant I wondered why I don't have that much confidence in myself.


The truth is, you need to learn to love yourself before others can. You need to accept your flaws and accept yourself for who you are, because everyone is an individual and there's nobody else exactly the same as you out there. Everyone is beautiful in their own way - and it's what's inside that counts so much more that your exterior - this is something that I'm really starting to accept. And I'm beginning to like myself, I really am. And that's a whole new exciting chapter of my life that I'm looking forward to exploring.

Spend some time with yourself - learn what it is that makes you tick, and what you really want to get out of life. At the end of the day, you are the one that goes to sleep worrying about yourself at night - it is your opinion on yourself that really matters, because you have to live with yourself every day. Learn what it is that you really like about yourself, whether that's a physical or non-physical trait, and cherish it.

I'm really working on loving myself a bit more, and I think everyone else should too. It doesn't have to be voiced to everyone you meet, but at the same time it's great if you can think of a few things you like about yourself if you're ever asked. The last question on the Twitter chat was, "Feeling beautiful is not the same as being arrogant. Post a favourite selfie/photo of yourself and say why you love it." I couldn't quite face up to that one. Not yet, anyway. Maybe ask me in a few months' time.
It is not what you are that holds you back. It is what you think you are not.



2 comments:

  1. I love this so much! Wednesday's #lbloggers chat was so insightful. It was also truly heartwarming to see so many bloggers from all over the world come together to talk about one, very important topic. So happy and honored to learn about your journey with self love. Your blog is lovely, let's communicate more often from now on!

    xx Chaereen | Inspinkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes it was it was a lovely chat :) xx

      Delete