Tuesday, 7 July 2015

A special day


So today is a rather special day - it (hopefully) marks the end of my 3rd year at medical school, and is exactly one year since I started this blog.

Wow, when I look back at how far I have come since July 7th 2014 it really amazes me - with my mental health, my blog and life in general. I'm now 3/5ths of a doctor, I'm generally so much happier, and I've really learnt about who are the people that really matter in my life. I have had some huge milestones with my blog: the day I had over 7000 views on my post about changing the stigma around mental health; the amazing comments I have had from my readers about how opening up about my depression has helped them; and the fact that I have received over 85,000 blog views in a year.

I thought I'd do a little list about the things I'm really proud of achieving over the last year:

1) Improving my photography. My photography has improved so much since I first set up Pull Yourself Together - it's still not exactly where I want it to be but it's getting there. I take photos most days, and I have learnt how to use my DSLR camera on the manual settings. And it's really not as hard as I feared it would be!

2) Getting through third year. This year has been hard - we have had so many changes to our curriculum and have had so much to learn, plus it's been such a long year. But I genuinely feel like I have so much more knowledge than I did 12 months ago, and I'm a lot more confident when I'm taking histories from and examining patients. I guess I shouldn't be too hasty with this point as we've got to get through results day first!

3) Helping others more than I thought I ever could. I have had so many incredible comments on my blog, or messages from people I know, about how opening up about my depression has helped them. And that is absolutely amazing. When I started out a year ago I hoped that I could just help to change the negative stigma towards mental health in maybe one person, or just make one person a little more knowledgeable about depression. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would have got such a positive response towards PYT - so thank you so much all for your support.

4) Recovering from my depression. When I look back to how ill I was this time last year, it amazes me how far I have come. I am not completely there yet and have had a few blips, but I am slowly recovering and am positive for the future. Writing this blog is one of the things that has really helped me feel better, as well as all of the support I have gained from it.

5) Jumping out of a plane. As my regular readers will know, a month or so ago I did a skydive to raise money for Mind (post here). This is something I am incredibly proud of, and it was such an amazing experience. I would definitely jump (heh) at the chance to do it again!

Here's to another year for Pull Yourself Together!
The temptation to quit will be greatest just before just before you are about to succeed.



2 comments:

  1. You have done and are still doing amazingly, hannah! I hope you're proud of yourself xxx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete