Wednesday, 22 July 2015

It's okay to feel down, even on holiday


Today's post was supposed to be about how holidays are good for your mental health, but I just couldn't face up to writing that this evening as I'm not feeling particularly positive (it will be coming soon though!).

It just goes to show that depression can hit at any time, without any reason. I 'should' be happy - I'm in one of my favourite countries in the world with four of my favourite people, and I'm now a fourth year medical student. But I just can't strike up any enthusiasm.

There's no particular reason that I feel down, I just woke up from a nap this afternoon feeling this way. I've been especially tired today and that's always a sign that I'm not completely myself. I just have this dragging feeling in the pit of my stomach and tears threatening at the back of my eyes that could overflow at any moment.

I am so grateful for where I am in life right now, and realise that so many people would love to be in my position. But it's okay to feel down for no reason, even if it should be the happiest day of your life. Don't beat yourself up about it, try and focus on the positives, and surround yourself by supportive friends and family. I know that I will get over this low patch; hopefully by tomorrow morning if I'm lucky!

Keep smiling and keep faith :)

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment