Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Siena


Today we went to Siena and met up with some of my family there, who are also currently holidaying in Italy. Siena is a Tuscan city and is probably one of my favourites that we have visited in Italy. 

                     

 The Piazza del Campo (above) is an impressive shell-shaped town square with a huge tower and church. Every year the famous Palio horse race takes place in this square, which looks like it would be an amazing spectacle. There is also a huge duomo (cathedral) with an ornate facade that dates back to the 12th century.

We walked around the streets and caught up with each other for a while, occasionally entering some of the many shops. I made the mistake of going to look in an Italian branded make-up shop, where I was immediately accosted by a member of the staff and followed round, with her showing me all of the products. She seemed very pleasant, so when she asked if she could try some eyeliner on me I agreed. Then she insisted on eyeshadow. And concealer. Blusher. Lip liner. Lipstick. By this point I thought I must look like a beautiful swan, transformed, due to all the products on my face.

But then she showed me what I looked like in the mirror. Oh my goodness, I almost screamed - I looked like I'd been used as a punch bag the eye make-up was so heavy! But me being British, I was like "oh, it's err lovely thanks!". I said I didn't really need any of the products though, at which point she turned into the Wicked Witch of the West. I came away with two unwanted eye shadows and a sweaty face of clown make-up, before quickly going into a pharmacy and grabbing some face wipes.


After that ordeal I needed to sit down, so we went to a lovely pizzeria for lunch. I sat with my cousins and we chatted about what had been going on since we last saw each other, and then we went to an amazing gelateria for ice-cream. I chose apple and mango. I've got to say, you haven't lived until you have tried Italian ice-cream; it's amazing.

The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering around more shops (avoiding my eyes being attacked by more scary cosmetic ladies), and looking at the sights of Siena.



T-shirt - Bought in Italy 
Shorts - New Look
Sandals - Primark
Scrunchie - New Look

This T-shirt was (quite obviously) bought in Siena - I'm a sucker for anything with stripes on it. I wanted to dress quite relaxed tonight so I just put it on with my denim shorts and shoved my hair up in a scruffy ponytail.

Right, I'm off to beat my family at cards!

Hannah x 

4 comments:

  1. Hahah, nice story! Do you speak any Italian or did the salesgirl speak any English? I can imagine it being even more awkward when you don't understand a word! But I guess at least then you could play a dumb tourist and just leave. Which would've been a little rude, but...
    Was it Kiko make-up store? They actually have really good things, especially nail polish. I have enough nail polishes to last me a few lifetimes, and Kiko's are among my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salesgirl spoke really good English. My Italian is awful! It wasn't Kiko but I did go into Kiko later on and ended up buying a couple of things, I love their eyeshadows! xx

      Delete
  2. Siena is a fabulous city, I visited on Italian exchange a couple of times. I love the way it's split into all different sections. I'm pretty sure we had ice cream there too (as well as everywhere else in Italy)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes Siena is so beautiful, one of my favourite Italian cities I've visited xx

      Delete