Monday, 14 September 2015

Hello, my name's Hannah and I'm a... GP?


You know what, I adore General Practice. I love how you get to know your patients and their families really well. I love how you are holistic about the patient's care. I love how you see children growing up. And I especially love that you never know who will walk through the door next.

I started my GP placement today and I enjoyed it so much that I didn't want to leave at 5pm (I'm such a geek). I came out thinking 'I could really, really do this' - it's actually an amazing feeling to be so passionate about something, and to have something to work towards. I'm really lucky in that respect.

Many people think that General Practice is boring, or just coughs and colds - and some individuals in the medical profession believe that it is inferior to other specialities, and just chatting to patients and referring them. However today I saw such a variety of patients - those with mental health problems, joint problems, behavioural problems, stomach ache... The most interesting case was someone with Charles Bonnet syndrome, which causes people to have visual hallucinations - this particular person saw people that weren't there. I guess it's each to their own, but I find GP really exciting and fully enjoy all of my placements.

One thing I think is really special is that most patients really trust their GP. It's such an honour to have the opportunity to look after people in the future and to make a difference to their health. During fourth year we get to hold our own consultations with patients which I'm really looking forward to - my first one is on Wednesday which is really exciting!
If the future seems overwhelming, remember that it comes one moment at a time.
                             - Beth Mende Conny



4 comments:

  1. This is so exciting!! You're going to be amazing :) xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my GP placement - my GP tutor was so inspiring and I loved the fact that she knew her patients so well!! It's a close second choice as a future career for me, after psych. Plus Charles Bonnet syndrome is fascinating! (And a great exam fact). Hope your own consultations go well :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a patient, I love my GP but shes gone on mat leave!! So now I seem to see a different doctor everytime I go which is really unhelpful.

    ReplyDelete