Monday, 7 September 2015

Vegetarian egg fried rice


Apologies about the photo quality - I wasn't sure what I was going to write about tonight so I just snapped a quick picture on my phone. Today has been very uneventful, so I decided to do a quick post on my dinner that I cooked tonight, as it was so delicious!

I am trying to eat fairly healthy but cheap meals at uni, and egg fried rice with vegetables is perfect, as rice and vegetables are relatively cheap. I also added some Quorn chicken pieces for a bit more protein, but you can add chicken or pretty much any vegetable you fancy. It was really filling and tasted great - here's how I made it...

You will need...
- Basmati rice
- Red pepper
- Frozen Quorn chicken pieces
- Red onion
- Eggs (I used 3 but made a huge dish of rice)
- Leek
- Mushrooms
- Soy sauce

Here's what you should do...
1) Boil as much rice as you want using the instructions on the packet (I did quite a bit so that I can use it for meals later in the week).
2) While the rice is cooking, cut up the onion, pepper, leek and mushrooms.
3) Fry the onions for a minute or so in a saucepan or wok, and then add some Quorn chicken pieces. Fry for a couple more minutes until the Quorn starts to go brown.
4) Add the pepper, mushrooms and leek to the saucepan/wok.
5) Once the rice is cooked, add it to the saucepan/wok with the vegetables in, and cook for a few minutes.
6) Move the rice and vegetable mixture to the edges of the saucepan/wok and create a hole in the middle. Crack the eggs into the hole and stir them until they start to resemble scrambled egg.
7) Stir the egg into the rice and vegetable mixture, and cook for a few more minutes.
8) Serve and stir in some soy sauce to add a little more flavour.

Apologies for this not being overly interesting - I just thought I would share with you a quick and easy meal that I have been enjoying when I'm tired after hospital placement. My housemate Neala also requested that I share with you the fact that I cannot crack eggs by myself as I'm scared of getting shell in my food... she had to come down and help me out with it (thanks Neala!).
You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.



1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious - I love quick and healthy meals that I can cram loads of veg into. Also, I always crack eggs into a cup or bowl before putting them into my food just in case I get shell into it!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete