Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Why can't we all just be ourselves?


Life currently always seems to be rotating around the next big thing, and it gets really exhausting trying to keep up. I've especially noticed it more since I've been blogging and reading more blogs to get inspiration - there's such a lot of pressure to keep up and to be the 'best' in the blogging world and over social media. Everyone is trying to be like another person, whilst still having to stand out.

First we were expected to be size zero, then all have six packs, and now we all have to have big booties but still be lean at the same time. We're supposed to 'eat clean' and have 'gains', whilst maintaining the perfect 'squad' with 'bae' by our side. Then there's contouring, strobing, men having giant bushes growing out of their chins... And all of this has to be promoted over social media so that the whole world knows that you are the epitome of perfection, of course.

Why can't the next fad just to love ourselves as we are? From childhood we are taught to express ourselves and learn about who we really are, and then as soon as people hit their teenage years society wants them to repress their traits that make them individual, as promoting them would be 'vain' or 'weird'. There becomes a pressure to 'fit in' and be the same as others around you - plus you need to be seen to have an amazing job, social life and holidays.

I personally find people so much more interesting when they are just being themselves. A gentleman came into the GP surgery today and I found out that he was an author - he was very eccentric and wasn't afraid to show it, and was such an intriguing character.

This past year I have learnt such a lot about who I am, and I've become more confident about showing it to the world. I sometimes snort when I laugh, my favourite days are those when I have nothing to do and can literally lie in bed all day with only the company of my good friends Nutella and Netflix, I couldn't do a sit-up to save my life, I would always choose a night in over a night out, and Twitter still confuses me. And you know what? I can't contour and I hate squats. I will never be the slimmest person out there (I love food too much, as you've probably guessed) or the most perfectly made-up. And honestly, I'm so much happier for being able to accept that about myself.

I'm not perfect, and I'm never going to be cool, but that's okay. Life is way too short to be boring and to not be a bit weird or crazy once in a while. I'm just hanging out here being myself, and I'm more than happy about that - I think it makes life a little more interesting.
What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be.



1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love this post Hannah. I agree with everything apart from one thing; you ARE cool! haha ^__^
    Jemma xx

    ReplyDelete