Tuesday, 20 October 2015

This Material Culture



This Material Culture is a Liverpool-based jewellery brand, created by Rebecca and Sam in 2014. I met the couple at the #NWmeet in September and contacted them telling them how much I loved their jewellery afterwards - they said that they thought my blog suited their products and we decided to collaborate!


One of the reasons that I wanted to collaborate with This Material Culture so much is because the brand was born from Rebecca's struggles with depression (as well as her amazing talent at jewellery making!). She had to quit her job due to her mental health, and decided to set up This Material Culture with her husband, Sam. Rebecca told me that she first started making pretty things to keep her mind occupied, but then the brand grew and developed into an online business. I love that something so beautiful has come from a dark place - it shows that if you have dreams, you can reach them, and that a mental illness will not stop you if you are determined enough.


I had a look on their website (go have a peek - they have some gorgeous things) and decided that I would love to receive their mermaid bangle. I have been told many times that my hair is kind of mermaid-like, plus I love fairytales and how they can take you away from the present for a while - and it helped that the bracelet had such beautiful colours.


When I was emailing Rebecca about the mermaid bangle, she also told me that it had pearls on it, and that pearls are 'grains of sand put under pressure' - symbolising that something beautiful can come from something really hard. I loved that resemblance and it reminds me that some good things have come out of my depression, such as helping others and becoming a much stronger person.


I've worn my bangle such a lot since receiving it, and it makes me smile every time I look down at it. Every bangle from This Material Culture is handmade, so each are completely unique - something else I adore about the brand. They have so many different styless of bangles that would suit so many other people: my other favourites are the rainy day bangle and the pixie dust bangle. Lots of them have Disney connotations, which is so cute. The bangles would make perfect gifts for Christmas, as they are so personal, and actually only cost from £7.

This Material Culture also sell other types of jewellery, including necklaces, earrings and rings; I fell in love with their pendant necklaces, particularly this bicycle necklace. I love that the brand's jewellery is so personal - I enjoy wearing accessories that feel special to me and actually have a meaning. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Be the energy you want to attract.



1 comment:

  1. This is a really pretty bangle and it has a lovely meaning behind it! I love the bicycle necklace you love as well xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete