Saturday, 21 November 2015

Birmingham German Christmas Market


Last night my friends and I travelled down from Liverpool to Shropshire to spend a weekend at my home in the countryside.

Today we decided to get the train to Birmingham to have a wander around the German Christmas market, for lots of food and festive cheer.


I have to recommend that if you go you have to try the garlic bread - it was the stall that I was most excited about as it is so garlicky and cheesy and amazing. You'll find it up near the town hall!


The German market comes to Birmingham every year near Christmas time and consists of over 180 wooden huts selling food, crafts and other gifts. It has been running for over a decade and is supposed to be the largest outdoor Christmas market in Britain.


For me, the food is the best part. You can buy lots of German specialities such as bratwurst (sausage), pretzels and knoblauchbrot (bread), as well as a slice of hog roast, churros and doughnuts.


I had (don't judge me): garlic bread, fried potatoes, churros, a doughnut and roasted nuts...


...Oh, and a hot chocolate at the Pitcher & Piano at Brindley Place (but that was to warm me up).


The market is best when it starts getting dark and all of the Christmas lights come on - it looks really pretty.


We also ended up looking around the new shopping centre called Grand Central, which is really nice inside - possibly even better than the Bullring!


The doughnuts are one of my favourite foods at the German market - I have always had one for the last 6 or so years that I have been, and they never let me down.


I had a really lovely day and would definitely recommend a visit to Birmingham around this time of year, even if it's just to see the Christmas market (and eat some of it's food). There is also an ice skating rink at the end of the market, if you fancy another festive activity.

Afterwards we came home and ate even more food that my parents cooked for us - a full three course meal! That gave us big food babies so we just sat and watched The X Factor, before getting into bed for a longgg sleep.
Take a shower, wash off the day. Drink a glass of water. Make the room dark. Lie down and close your eyes. Notice the silence. Notice your heart. Still beating. Still fighting. You made it, after all. You made it, another day. And you can make it one more. You're doing just fine.
                      - Charlotte Eriksson



1 comment:

  1. I have to second that the garlic bread there is the most amazing ever! Like I dont think I could ever go to the German Market without having it ... (I am thinking about it right now ...)

    ReplyDelete