Monday, 2 November 2015

Dear Sandra


Dear Sandra,

We hardly know each other and you will probably never read this, but I just wanted to say thank you, from myself and all of us with a mental illness.

Thank you for stopping your car and coming to talk to me when you saw me crying on a bench. Thank you for refusing to leave me alone until my friend came to pick me up. And thank you for showing me that the world isn't as terrible as it sometimes seems.

I woke up this morning feeling awfully low and tearful, but managed to drag myself into placement. But then I just burst into tears and realised that I couldn't handle being in for another 6 hours today, so I got permission to leave and started to make my way home. I couldn't stop crying and ended up calling my friend, before sitting down on a bench on the corner of a road and waiting to be picked up.

You said that you drove round the block twice, and each time noticed that I looked really distressed. You stopped your car and came to sit with me, and said that you hoped someone else would do the same for your daughters.

I also hope that someone else would do the same for your daughters, as you were so lovely with me and just told me all about your life to distract me from my own negative thoughts, which helped me to stop crying - and actually made me laugh at points. I felt a lot better when I got into the car with my friend after you gave me a huge hug and made your way home.

It sounds cheesy, but you have restored my faith in humanity. I would never have believed that anyone would be kind enough to come and talk to me during my time of need, let alone stop their car for me. You have shown me how kind humans can be, and we need more people like you to help those that are distressed and upset like I was. I hope that if I come across anyone that is upset in the future, I will do the same as you did for me.

It just goes to show that the smallest gesture can make the biggest difference to someone's life, and I hope this letter inspires someone else to do the same if they are ever put in a similar situation. There are some amazing people out there, and you, Sandra, are one of the most special I have ever met.

Lots of love,
There's no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.



3 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! So glad there is a person like her in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so lovely, small things like this restore your faith in human nature. Hope you are feeling better today Hannah

    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely reminder of the best side of humanity. I hope you are feeling better.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete