Wednesday, 11 November 2015

The truth about blogging


The blogging world can be so easy to get sucked into. It is hard not to compare the amount of followers/page views/free stuff you get, let alone your DA and Google ranking (yeah, still no idea what those are either). So sometimes it can be difficult to stay motivated to blog, as it can feel like you are not doing as well as others, or should be making much more of an effort.

It's times like these that I have to remember why I started my blog. And you know what made me think about the point of Pull Yourself Together today? Kate from The Medic Journal's blog post about her own depression. She wrote so beautifully about how she has been suffering, and showed that a lot of medical students have mental illnesses and that it should become less of a taboo. She also wrote a little about my own blog, saying that it has helped her because I am so honest and open about my illness. And that was amazing to hear, and just what I needed when I was starting to question my own blogging skills.

I may not have the highest DA or the most Twitter followers in the world, but I do have some very loyal readers that I am extremely grateful towards. I am doing what I set out to do when I set up Pull Yourself Together: to help get over my depression; help others with their depression; and to challenge the stigma around mental health. I always said that if I helped one person to open up about, or get help for, their depression then that would be incredible - and from the messages and feedback I receive about my blog, I think I have achieved that, and I think I should be proud of myself for that fact.

Receiving 'free' things from brands is, admittedly, great (although they are not fully free as I usually have to write about them on here!), but is not the reason I started my blog. I don't work with as many brands as other bloggers do, because that's not why I am blogging. I am blogging because I enjoy it, and because it has helped me so much with regards to my mental health. Sometimes I sit here and wonder why anyone would ever read my long rambly posts about my boring life and what I have eaten that day or how I am feeling, but I think it's because I am so open about my feelings and am hopefully relatable.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I love blogging, and am going to continue with it as long as it helps myself and others. I have met so many amazing people and had loads of incredible opportunities that I wouldn't have had before, but it is my readers that keep me going. I'd like to say a huge thank you for reading my blog, even if it's only a post or two, and I promise you that I am going to continue to challenge the stigma around mental health, whilst occasionally rambling about life goings-on.
Now sometimes you're up, and sometimes you're down
When you find that you're down well, just look around
You've still got a body, good legs and fine feet
Get your head in the right place
And hey you're complete!
                                  - The Great American Jackalope



3 comments:

  1. I think alot of people are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the blogosphere at the moment (including myself!(, but I agree, its so important to think about why you started and stay true to your original goals

    Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with every word you say - I could easily write about the latest lipstick or eye liner, gain more followers talking about something I'm not passionate about, but like you, my blog is about mental health and that's what I want to keep it. Freebies are great but it's so important to do what you love, rather than focusing on numbers and 'what's fashionable'. Great post lovely xxx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely understand this. I started my blog when I was in a really dark place. My depression and anxiety meant I was going to work, coming home and spending my evenings a) thinking way too much and b) cancelling any plans I had with anyone other than my husband because my anxiety over the stupidest little things went into overdrive.

    I love going to events and meet ups now because they always remind me why I am doing this and also mean that I am around other people a lot more than I used to be. I love your blog and also Kates and I need to remember in my own blog to talk about when I am feeling good, but also not to be afraid to talk about when im not feeling too great!

    Keep doing what you do, you are fab

    Charlotte | www.discoveringcharlotte.co.uk

    (P.s. I have no idea what DA is all about either!)

    ReplyDelete