Saturday, 19 December 2015

10 facts about my Christmas


1) Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year.
We have a routine where we go to the cinema to watch a Christmassy film, go out for a meal at a restaurant, and then have our friends over in the evening for pork baps and a chat. I love how there's still the excitement of Christmas being the next day and that everyone seems so happy and jolly.

2) We don't open our presents until after Christmas dinner.
We open our stocking presents when we wake up in the morning, but our main presents under the tree after we have eaten Christmas dinner, at about 3.30pm. People always ask me how I can bear waiting, but it's what I've always done and I love how it spreads them out, so that there's something to look forward to after we've eaten.

3) My favourite kind of presents are stocking presents.
They are always a complete surprise and Mum has a knack of finding loads of cute little things to put in them, like nail varnishes and Christmas knickers.

4) My best Christmas memory was Christmas Day in 2000.
When we came downstairs to see the presents under the tree, my sister and I noticed two envelopes hidden in the branches addressed to us: one was to be opened at 11am and the next at 1pm. The first said that we would be going to Disneyland Paris in February, and the second told us that we would be having a baby brother/sister in the summer. It turned out to be a little sister :)

5) My favourite Christmas songs are All I Want For Christmas Is You, Driving Home For Christmas and any songs from Michael Buble's Christmas album.
Kind of self-explanatory. The Pogues' Fairytale of New York is always a good one, too. Hymn-wise, O Come All Ye Faithful will always remain a firm favourite of mine to sing at church on Christmas Day.


6) My sister and I always used to dance around the kitchen to Christmas songs during the lead-up to Christmas.
We had a dance routine for most of them and knew all of the words. One of my personal favourites was marching along to Stop The Cavalry.

7) Every year I used to ask Santa for a cat on my Christmas list.
I never got one. Or that blow-up blue sofa that I asked for a couple of years in a row (would have looked so cool in my bedroom).

8) Santa always leaves a trail of snow leading from the fireplace to our Christmas tree.
It's actually flour scattered around a pair of my dad's work boots to make them look like huge footprints, but Christmas morning wouldn't be the same without them. The dogs also enjoy licking the flour up, so y'know, there's another benefit.

9) My current favourite Christmas candle scent is gingerbread.
I got a gingerbread candle from Home Bargains for about £3 earlier this month and have been loving burning it ever since.

10) I hang baubles all around the house as Christmas decorations.
I've done this for about 5 years or so now, and it's kind of become a tradition. I think it makes the house look really festive, as there's always a bauble scattered somewhere in whichever room you visit.
Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.
                           - Pema Chodron
#projectsmile



3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I love hearing about how other people do their Christmas! Your Christmas Eve sounds lovely, and your Christmas Day in 2000 sounds so cute - what a lovely idea of your parents!

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always great hearing about how others spend Christmas as I think every family has their own little traditions that Christmas wouldn't be the same without!

    http://www.livinginagoldenafternoon.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The envelopes in 2000 are so cute! I love Christmas and I think it's all the little traditions that really make it special - it's such a family time :) I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete