Sunday, 27 December 2015

Insomnia

One of the most frustrating things in the world is not being able to sleep. Lying awake, thinking about everything and anything, feeling tired but not being able to shut the world out.

I have not been sleeping well for about 2 weeks - I think I've had one good night in the last 14 days. At the moment I am eventually drifting off at around 4am, although last night it was more like 6am, even if I read loads to make myself tired and try to count back from 500 in my head. I am consequently really tired in the day and end up napping, which means that I can sleep even less at night.

Being tired in the day is also awful, as it makes it difficult to function properly, or concentrate on anything. I'm not sure whether I'm not sleeping because of my depression, or just because I have a lot on my mind, but I really hope it sorts itself out soon!

To try and get myself to sleep, I have been trying to concentrate on something really boring, like counting sheep or counting backwards from 500, but my mind often flits elsewhere which makes it hard to keep my mind focused. I left my sleep balm in Liverpool which isn't helping - here are a few more tips that I wrote in a post about how to get to sleep quicker, and how to combat tiredness.
I breathe in my courage and exhale my fear.



1 comment:

  1. I hate when I'm struggling to sleep. A tip I found on an anxiety forum a while ago is to do 'the alphabet game'. The idea is to pick a category and come up with something for each letter of the alphabet, trying not to move on from each letter until you have something. I try to pick something that needs a bit of focus in order to not let my mind wander onto whatever I'm worrying about, but never anything related to revision!! Good ones for me have been things like surnames of teachers from school or breeds of dog. I very rarely ever make it past about 'k' before I'm asleep!
    I've also been listening to audiobooks recently. They focus my mind away from worries, but allow me to keep my eyes shut and lie still, which helps me drift off to sleep better than reading does.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete