Tuesday, 29 December 2015

My favourite posts of 2015

Inspired by Jenny from Ginevrella, I decided I would do a round-up of my favourite posts I have written over the past 12 months. A lot of them are mental health based, but others are fashion or lifestyle. Have a read if you haven't before - hope you enjoy!



 
I really enjoyed writing this one - it made me realise how far I've come since I was 16 years old, in terms of my mental health and what I have learnt about myself. It really made me feel good about myself, and still makes me feel like that now when I read it back. Everyone should write a letter to their younger self at some point!



Body image is something that I've always struggled with, so this was an important post to write for me. It was quite a long post but, I feel, had a powerful message to it - that we should all love ourselves, no matter what shape or size we are. Again, a very positive blog post.

 

Signs you're a medical student


I love doing list posts, and had a lot of fun thinking of ideas for this one. There are a lot of things that make medical students slightly different to other people, as with most careers, so I managed to compile a list of 47 things that show you're a medical student

Living with someone with depression

This is my second-most viewed blog post, with around 5000 page views. I asked my mum if she could write me a post for my blog about my depression, but I didn't expect it to be so powerful. She wrote so eloquently about coping with my depression from a parental view, and has helped so many people by doing so. It still makes me cry when I read it.


My Midcourse Ball in March marked the middle of my medical degree - at 2.5 years, and halfway through my third year. We had a posh venue in Liverpool and danced the night away after a wonderful dinner - it was such a lovely event to be celebrating with the rest of my year.


I think that it's so important to take a day off for the good of your mental health if you need it, and this post explains why. I also think it shouldn't be such a taboo to tell your employers why you need a day off - and not have to make up a physical illness as an excuse.

Stigma around antidepressants

Antidepressants have a huge stigma around them, and yet so many people take them. From my medical experience so far, they are probably one of the most taken drugs, apart from anti-hypertensives and statins. This post explains why I take my antidepressants, and why the stigma around them needs to be challenged.


This is one of my favourite outfits of the year, as it was an example of the sort of thing I'd wear if I ever got to go to Coachella festival. It's definitely on my bucket list!

How to overcome low days in depression
 
I included this post in my 2015 round-up because it may help others to overcome a low day when they are feeling depressed. I have written a list of things that help me, including spending time with a pet and writing it down.


23rd May was one of the best days of my life - I got to do a skydive in aid of Mind, the mental health charity, with my dad, raising over1000 between us. It had to be included in this list really!


Again, another of my favourite outfits of this year - I have worn this simple dress and sandals combo so many times this year, as it can easily be dressed up or down.

 
7th July 2015 was a rather special day - it marked the end of my third year at medical school and a whole year of blogging. I wrote a little list about things I was proud of achieving during that 12 months, if you'd like to check it out.


How could this not be included?! This was the day we met and chose Bruce, our golden Labrador - who is now 6 months and doesn't look quite as much like a polar bear any more (boo).


I was so proud of myself the day I found I had got into my fourth year at medical school, especially with all of the lows and struggles that I have had. Can't believe I'm already nearly halfway through :)


I went to Umbria in Italy with my family over the summer and had such a lovely time, so had to include this post in my 2015 round-up. I always have the best time on our family holidays - we're all really close and enjoy each others' company.


I drove down to Somerset in November to stay in an amazing cottage with a few other blogging girls. We had a great weekend and it is definitely the best experience I have had through my blog yet. You can read about what we got up to here.


I am very lucky to live with some of my best friends, so this list was really fun to write.


Again, another one of my favourite outfits of this year - including some jewellery and clothes that I got for Christmas.

Have courage and be kind.



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting to your fourth year and good luck with the rest that is a massive achievement. Love your run down of 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete