Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Being relatable


You know what I've noticed about blogs recently? They are often becoming more and more glossy and less and less relatable. The bloggers look like models, the photos are perfect, and the writing is about some exotic resort they've visited, or a high-end product they've tried out. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bit of photography and a lust over some faraway place I'll probably never visit, but I just don't want to be reading about it all the time.

Well, please slap me if I ever get that way (a virtual slap over Twitter will do). One of my biggest aims with my blog is to be relatable and real. I want people to be able to relate to my life and my experiences with my mental health so that they can see that they're not alone in their own struggles.

And how am I going to achieve that? I'm going to continue to write about my boring days where I just stay in bed, or my love of Nutella on pitta bread. I'm going to continue to share how awful I sometimes feel, or how I make myself feel better by dancing madly to S Club 7. I'm a real person, with real emotions, and I really lead quite a boring life that rotates around my bed, eating and Netflix. Yet quite a lot of people seem to enjoy reading my blog so far, and I'm hoping that's because I am relatable. I'm never going to be model-esque or glossy (I like Nutella too much and my make-up and hair never stays perfect for long enough. Plus there are more important things to think about).


I think sometimes you need a bit of reassurance that there are other 'normal' people out there, that aren't rich or jetsetting everywhere. Social media can be so misleading and damaging to mental health (you can read my post about that here) - I think we sometimes need to remember that life isn't always as it seems in photos or tweets.

So I'll leave you with a couple of photos of my set-up when I'm blogging... Me in my pyjamas sitting on my bed, my laptop, and my phone. Sometimes occasionally some chocolate. No fancy desk or lighting set-up here.
Ask yourself what is really important, and then have the wisdom and courage to build your life around your answer.



3 comments:

  1. Yay!!

    I was getting a little disheartened by blogging too, but I want to stick to my relatable blog and follow more and more blogs that want to do the same x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog for being more relatable than most. It reminds me that it's ok not to be jetsetting to exotic locations every weekend, or whipping up complicated fashionable dinners every evening. Keep it up! :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely why I love your blog so much. Your posts are so relatable, and having been lucky enough to meet you, I can tell that your personality comes across in your posts! x

    www.lolaandbehold.com

    ReplyDelete