Thursday, 14 January 2016

How to make January more bearable


If you're anything like me, you'll find January a bit bleak. Christmas is over, the weather's still cold, there's a huge pressure to eat healthily, and you're probably low on funds. All I really want to do is hibernate under a thick blanket with my two good friends, Netflix and Chocolate.

So here is a list of things that are making January more bearable for me - hopefully it will give you a couple of ideas too!

1) Plan things to look forward to
I always find it so much easier to get through a low point when I have something to get excited about. Plan a holiday for later in the year (or this weekend, if you want to be spontaneous!). Plan to visit a friend, or to go out. Or even just the little things, like planning to watch a film in the evening or to eat your favourite food, can make getting through the day a little easier. Make sure that you have lots of things to look forward to, to keep your momentum going.

2) Do something you enjoy every day
I guess this is similar to point number 1, but make sure that you make time to do things that you enjoy. Even if that just means setting aside an hour each day to read a book, listen to music, bake something, or have a phone call with a loved one. Whatever you enjoy doing - let yourself do it.

3) Make a list of 3 things that made you happy each day
Even if it's just mentally (write it down if it helps, though), make a list of 3 things that made you happy each day. This can make you realise that life isn't as bad as it sometimes seems, and you can therefore appreciate the things that you do have.

4) Find time to relax
I find that doing something relaxing each day really helps my mood. Take up meditation - there are lots of apps that you can find to help with that, even if it's just for 5 minutes before you go to sleep each day. Or have a long bath, listen to your favourite music, get a massage. Whatever you find relaxing, allow yourself some time doing it each day.

5) Don't deprive yourself
I know, I know, everyone is trying to be healthy this time of year. But don't deprive yourself completely of foods that you love - allow yourself a treat at the weekends or when you need a bit of a pick-me-up. Don't turn down a meal out with friends just to be healthy (and don't sit there just picking at a salad either!). Being generally healthy but allowing yourself some slack will help you to continue with a healthy lifestyle in the future - you are less likely to give up. And January will feel less tedious!

6) Go for a walk
I know it's cold, but going for a walk can really help to clear your head. January is actually quite beautiful when you're surrounded by nature - go and see it for yourself.

7) Daydream about spring
Daffodils blooming, baby animals, being able to go outside without a coat... It's only just around the corner, and sometimes just thinking about how I'm going to spend my time in spring can make me feel a bit better about my current situation.

8) Spend time with loved ones
Being around friends and family is always a great idea, especially if you need some TLC, so make sure you spend lots of time with them in January - even if it's just a catch up on the phone.

9) Wear pyjamas as often as possible
Because January is the perfect excuse to snuggle up in pyjamas, with a mug of hot chocolate and a good film on. If all else fails, I think this would make anyone feel better.
Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment