Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Love yourself on Valentine's Day


Recently I have noticed that there have been a lot of posts floating around in the bloggersphere about what to buy for your Valentine, or how to make Valentine's Day special as a couple, but as a single lady, and someone that is always an advocate for self-love, I thought I would write a post about loving yourself on Valentine's Day. Because why can't single people celebrate it too?


One of the things I love doing to chill out by myself is having a good long bath, pampering myself from top to toe.


And you can't do that without a candle (or candles, I often have about 8 lit around the bath in the evening) - and this Baylis & Harding pink magnolia and pear blossom candle* is perfect. I have never had a candle with three wicks before, it makes the candle look so much more expensive than it actually is at £15, and will last forever as there's so much wax to melt. It also smells gorgeous and was the perfect accompaniment to a relaxing bath. It can be bought from Debenhams, and is limited addition as Baylis & Harding's Valentine's Day range.

So on Sunday, I lit this candle and ran a deep, deep bath. And this is exactly what I expect to do this Sunday, on Valentine's Day, too.


And what's a good bath without a Lush bath bomb?


I bought this Dragon's Egg bath bomb from Lush because of its pretty colours and the fact it smelt amazing - it smelt very strongly of lemon (and left the bathroom smelling of lemon all day after my bath). As soon as I popped it into the water it started fizzing and making the bath bubbly, before turning the bath water a bright orange colour.


I was actually a bit scared that I would get out of the bath looking like an oompa loompa, but thankfully my skin was no more orange than usual (aka white as a polar bear).



Before washing my hair I put on a face mask - in the form of Montagne Jeunesse's Mud Pac in Dead Sea & Sea Kelp. You can get Montagne Jeunesse's face masks in packs for around £1, and they are really good - my face always feels really soft and cleansed after using them. I put this on for 10-15 minutes before washing it off.


I also think that a good bath should be accompanied by some music and chocolate. I put a playlist of Adele, Justin Bieber and Coldplay on my iPod (random selection, but they're what are in my recently added playlist), and indulged in some Lindt chocolate.


Also from Baylis & Harding's Valentine's range is this beautiful pink magnolia and pear blossom body wash*. It would actually make the perfect present for Valentine's Day as it looks really luxurious with its pink box and rose gold lid (and it's only £8 for a huge bottle!), but I was glad to receive it for myself to indulge in. It smells lovely and it was so nice to use a luxurious body wash for once, instead of a cheap one from Asda.


I always use Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner when I wash my hair, but as I was pampering myself I also decided to use a hair mask. I really like Herbal Essences Bee Strong Hair Mask - it smells gorgeous and always leaves my hair feeling really soft afterwards; plus it's supposed to make your hair stronger. I put it on the mid to end of my hair after shampoo and conditioning, leave it on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse it off.

I also used my Nourish Kale Enzymatic Cleanser that I reviewed back in August, as I was given a bigger tube as a Christmas present. It always leaves the skin on my face feeling so lovely and soft.


After getting out of the bath and drying off, it's time to moisturise. My favourite body moisturisers are definitely The Body Shop's body butters as they are so thick and hydrating, so I decided to use my Body Shop body butter in blueberry. It smells delicious but is only occasionally available in the shops and online, so it's worth snapping up when you find it! I used it all over my body, but especially concentrated on my legs as they felt a little dry.


And last but not least, my face. I usually use Nivea's oil free moisturiser in the day, but I have also recently really been loving KORRES Wild Rose Advanced Repair Sleeping Facial in the evenings. It literally is the best thing I've ever smelt - I think I'd buy it just for that, even if it didn't work! However it is really hydrating and my face feels so lovely and smooth in the morning, without being at all greasy. Definitely one of my favourite products at the moment.


So there you have it - my pampering routine, which I will be copying on Valentine's Day too. I think it's so important to spend some time relaxing by yourself sometimes, to give yourself some care and to make yourself feel even more spectacular than you already are. We should all celebrate how great we are on Valentine's Day (and every day!), whether coupled off or not.
Meraki (v.): To do something with soul, creativity, or love; to put something of yourself into your work.



No comments:

Post a Comment