Friday, 15 April 2016

My motivations for blogging


I was speaking to my friend who is a blogger the other day, and I realised that I don't receive half as much free stuff as other bloggers sometimes do (although don't get me wrong, I'm really appreciative to receive the odd freebie!).

We were talking and she said that it's great that I manage to get the motivation to blog every day, even when I'm not often sent things by brands. And that got me thinking... the motivation for a lot of people to blog is to review new products, and receive these off companies in exchange for a blog post - which is great for both sides, as the company gets advertisement and the blogger usually gets to keep the product. Plus blogging is a lot of work, so it's good motivation to keep going with it when you receive a little something in the post.

However my blog is not particularly used for sample reviews, and is more of what I would call a 'lifestyle' blog. The reason I blog is to help myself, and others, with mental illness. And it has worked - my depression has been so much easier to deal with since I have been blogging, as I can write my feelings down whenever I need to. I also have had a lot of messages from people saying that my posts have helped them with their mental health, which is incredible - and is another motivational factor for me to keep going. I always said if I could just help one other person then that would be my job done.

But the main reason that I blog is because I enjoy it. I love writing my feelings down each evening and reflecting on the day; I love taking photos for my blog posts; I love thinking up new ideas to write down (I have a list of them in notebooks and on my phone); and I have loved meeting loads of new people through blogging, making some new friends that I would never have met otherwise. And I get the best feeling when I get positive feedback on one of my posts - which is usually when I write about mental health. I love just being able to escape from being a medical student for a while during the time I am writing.

I think everyone has an individual reason for blogging, and that is perfectly okay. People have hobbies for different reasons, although I don't think you could keep up the blogging charade if you didn't enjoy it, as you would quickly run out of new ideas. Sometimes I sit and look back through my archives and it makes me feel proud that I've been able to keep up blogging for this long, especially as I write nearly every day, and I hope that every blogger feels the same way about their own posts.

Blogging truly has improved my life massively, especially in regards to my mental health and self-esteem, and I would urge anyone to start one, for whatever reason. It is really therapeutic to just sit down at a laptop and write my feelings down, and I have had so many amazing opportunities just from the one evening that I sat in my living room and randomly decided to create Pull Yourself Together.

On a final note, I would like to thank the awful doctor that told me to pull myself together when I desperately needed help with my depression in A&E, for inspiring me to create my blog and promote mental health. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't be sitting here writing this today, trying to change the attitudes towards depression and other mental illnesses.
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.
           - Confucius



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog posts. You're always so open and honest and it's really refreshing to read! x

    ReplyDelete