Friday, 20 May 2016

Can you cure depression?


If you'd have asked me this question a few months ago, I would have said 'no' - you can't cure depression. I think I was at a point where I believed that I would always suffer with it as I had for so long, and would always relapse in the future.

However, now I think depression can be cured. Over the last couple of months I have been feeling incredible - probably the best that I've ever felt in over 8 years - and can't think of any low days I've had recently. That's a huge thing for me because, even if I'm well, I still usually have a couple of down days per month, or even every week.

I think I could probably say that I have recovered from my depression. I am cured. And I never thought I would ever be able to say that! I believe what has helped me recently has been a combination of positive circumstances and a positive mindset. I haven't been so sensitive towards things that would usually make me feel down, such as little comments or behaviours, and have been more confident in myself. I have actually liked myself. I think I'll do a separate post on how I have overcome my depression in the future.

I hope this post is motivational for anyone that is suffering with their mental health at the moment. I never thought I would get to the point where I was depression-free, and when I look back at how far I have come it makes me feel amazing. I'm really proud of myself for pushing through the dark times and getting to a point where I feel good, and 'normal'. Happy.

I never wish that I hadn't suffered with depression, as it has taught me so much about myself and the people around me. Although I would never wish it on my worst enemy. And now I know that, even if it does happen to come back in the future, I can tackle it and come out the other side, even if it does take a while.

If I can get this far, anyone can! You will be able to get through hard times - you just need a positive mindset and a group of good people around you. I found it so hard to turn my negative brain into a more positive one, and even harder to learn to like myself, but with some intensive counselling, time and patience, I have done it.

Depression can be cured - believe in yourself, take each day as it comes, and keep pushing forwards. Never, ever, ever give up. Brighter days are ahead.
Don't be afraid to start over. It's a brand new opportunity to rebuild what you truly want.



No comments:

Post a Comment