Monday, 9 May 2016

Insomnia is frustrating

I have been suffering with insomnia for a few months now - I never seem to get a decent night's sleep, unless I sleep in until 2pm.

I get into bed at a decent time, read for a bit and feel really tired, and then I turn my light off and - wham! I'm wide awake once more. Then I'll be tossing and turning for a few hours before I get any amount of sleep, then proceed to wake up numerous times during the couple of hours I do get.

I've never been a great sleeper, and I don't think this bout of insomnia is related to my depression as I have not been low in mood at all recently. I don't know whether it's because I have a lot of things on my mind, as I find myself thinking about really random things - like some things that happened about 10 years ago - and can't seem to switch my brain off, but I don't feel particularly worried about anything right now.

And then I end up napping in the day, which turns into a vicious cycle because then, of course, I'm not so tired at night so sleep even worse. Although even if I don't sleep in the day, I still can't manage to sleep easily at night.

I'm tempted to go to the doctors and get some sleeping tablets for a week just to get back into the cycle of sleeping for 8 hours at night and therefore not needing to nap in the day so much. Insomnia is really frustrating because I get really annoyed with myself when I can't sleep, as I know I'll be exhausted the next day and won't be able to function properly.

I only slept for around 3 hours last night, and then had a 9 hour day in hospital today, so I feel extremely tired tonight. Fingers crossed I can get to sleep soonish!
Be who you needed when you were younger.



No comments:

Post a Comment