Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Post-holiday blues



I always, without fail, suffer with the blues after a holiday.

I know that it's not my depression raring its ugly head, because I don't get the irrational and negative thoughts. However I do feel down and get upset quite easily, at any small comment. Probably because I'm so tired - that saying 'I need another holiday to get over my last one' is definitely true!


I think most people get the blues after they get back from holiday - it's the fall straight back to reality and the knowledge that you have to go into school/university/work very soon again. And the fact that I've now got 3 weeks of revision before my exams has hit me hard, and made it even more difficult to feel good about being back at uni.


Today has been spent back in hospital, which was a little disheartening as we had a really difficult quiz, and then I tried to cannulate a patient and couldn't get any blood. To be fair, she had difficult veins to get anything from, but I'd still love to be able to get it first time. I was also ridiculously tired (even though I slept all day yesterday), so found it hard to concentrate on any sort of revision today.


I think one of the worst things about coming back from a beach holiday is the sudden change in clothing and temperatures - I can no longer wander around in shorts and an anklet, and comfy flip-flops are definitely not acceptable in hospital. Casual clothes have to be swapped for smarter, uncomfortable items.

Actually, no, the worst thing is not being able to sleep whenever and wherever I want. I miss snoozing on a towel by the pool!
All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.



1 comment:

  1. I always get post holiday/travel blues too and I really struggled getting back into a normal way of life after returning from Sri Lanka. All I can say, is that time is the best healer xx

    Sam // What I Know Now

    ReplyDelete