Thursday, 26 May 2016

Wahaca


Wahaca, 24 College Lane, Liverpool, L1 3DS

A couple of my housemates finished their exams today and will be leaving Liverpool for the summer soon, so we decided to go for a meal as a house tonight to celebrate.

There are so many amazing places to eat in Liverpool, but after some research we settled on Wahaca. Wahaca is a Mexican restaurant that I have walked past a couple of times recently, and always thought it looked cool from the outside - I love the bright colours and paintings.


Wahaca actually turned out to be having an open night of their upstairs bar today, so we went up for half an hour to sample some of their cocktails and food. We were given a free drink each and some nibbles came around, such as quesadillas, which were all delicious. The rooftop bar is really cool and would be lovely in summer; they have lots of squishy seats and benches, with some blankets provided for when it gets a bit cooler. It would look lovely lit up in the evenings.


We then went back downstairs to the restaurant, which is also decorated really nicely. It is quite modern with lots of bright colours and cool light fittings - exactly my style.


Wahaca's menu is quite extensive but consists of all of the Mexican classics you could think of - burritos, tacos, taquitos and tostadas.


We were given a voucher for a free margharita cocktail after the upstairs bar event, but I wasn't too keen on it - it was a little sharp for my taste. But you can't complain about a free drink!


Wahaca currently have a deal on where, if you sign up to their newsletter, you receive a voucher for a free 'street food' dish when you buy another dish. We decided to get the black bean and cheese quesadilla, and the sweet potato and feta taquito (below), to try between us. The taquito was delicious - one of the best things I have eaten in a while. It was covered in feta cheese and mayonnaise, and contained sweet potato inside. I think next time I would order two of them and have them as a main meal!


For my main I ordered the cactus and courgette burrito, and had it 'pimped up' so that it came with guacamole and nachos. The burrito was incredible - it also contained feta cheese, and the cactus was surprisingly tasty. Very filling!


I also got a side of sweet potato, which were slightly crispy and had a lovely dressing on them. They were also delicious.


You can't go to a Mexican without eating some churros, so I shared some with my housemate as we were both quite stuffed by the time we were ordering desserts. They were covered in sugar and cinammon, and came with melted chocolate in a cute little teacup.


I think Wahaca is actually the best Mexican I have ever been to, which is a big claim as I love Mexican food. I loved the decor inside, and the rooftop bar made it extra special - not to mention the food being delicious. It had a really lovely vibe inside, with funky music playing and really friendly staff. Plus it was a really good price - I only paid £14 for all of the food that I consumed. It's a great place to go with a group of friends and sample lots of different dishes, and they cater for everyone (I believe they have a great gluten-free menu, and there were loads of vegetarian choices). I will definitely be back in the not-so-distant future!
Your past has given you the strength and wisdom you have today, so celebrate it. Don't let it haunt you.



1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've been to a Wahaca before, although I really don't remember it, the name just rings a bell somewhere...hmm...anyways, it sounds absolutely wonderful though nonetheless. This is the kind of place that I'd get attracted too with the bright colours and the quirky interior. I never found too many mexican places when I was in England but in Australia there are TONS I swear. When I come back I will have to hunt out one of these to visit - think I looked up that there was one in London somewhere or other :)

    Katie
    www.katiehodgkinson.com

    ReplyDelete