Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Bula



Today has been such a lovely day. We went into hospital to meet our supervisor this morning and he said that we should take the day off to settle in more, so we found a public pool and spent the day around there.

We were the only people around the pool, probably because it's Fiji's winter right now so I'm sure the locals thought we were mad... But it was about 30 degrees here and very hot so I thought it was perfectly sensible to go for a swim!

We get a lot of stares around town as there are not many tourists in this part of Fiji, but I'm starting to get used to it now. We've learnt a couple of Fijian words (like 'bula' for 'hello' and 'vinaka' for 'thank you'), but most Fijians speak very good English. Although they didn't quite understand us when we asked for bread rolls yesterday - I think that must be a British word.

Fiji seems to be a very laid-back country; on the plane yesterday they even told us to turn our watches off as we were now on Fijian time. I'm enjoying the mix of Fijian and Indian cultures here and finding out more and more each day about both of them. One thing that I didn't realise was that in Fiji they drive on the left side of the road - I thought that was just the UK!


For tea we stopped at a Chinese restaurant, where I had a delicious vegetarian chow mein. All of our food so far has been amazing - even breakfast this morning of toast and eggs.

I also love drinking bottled Fiji water, which is really expensive in England but standard here, costing about 80p for a large bottle.

I feel very relaxed right now but am looking forward to starting hospital properly tomorrow and seeing the difference British and Fijian healthcare.

I hope you all have a lovely Tuesday - mine is just over but I guess all of you in the UK's will be just starting!

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment