Monday, 20 June 2016

Is this the end of my blog?


Just under two years ago, I opened up blogger.com, signed up for a Gmail account, and started Pull Yourself Together.

I started my blog because I was severely depressed, and thought that writing my thoughts down would be a good way to help myself recover; plus it would make me get out of bed every day so that I had something to write about. I also wanted to get the message out that mental health is nothing to be ashamed of - I wanted to help as many other people as possible.

Two years down the line, and I think I have completely recovered. I think my depression has been cured. And I believe that a lot of it is to do with my little corner of the internet, and all of the support that I have received from it.

So now, what do I do? I feel like a bit of a fraud to carry on blogging when I have beaten my depression. I feel a bit silly continuing to write about mental health, when I am very lucky not to be suffering with it at the moment. I feel like my niche has disappeared.

However I have discovered my love for blogging. I adore sitting down every evening and writing my thoughts down - I find it very therapeutic. I also think I still have a lot of advice I could give about mental health, even though my own is good at the moment. I have a lot more adventures that I want to share with you guys.

I think it would be weird not to blog any longer; I would really miss it. I have had so many amazing opportunities through Pull Yourself Together, and have met so many lovely people that I would now genuinely call friends, that I think it would be a shame to give it up now.

So I'm afraid that you're stuck with me for now, and hopefully for a long time to come! I genuinely value my readers and find it bizarre, but incredible, that you are interested in my little life on the internet - and I promise that I'll continue to be open and honest with you, like I have been about my mental health in the past. I really feel like if you read back on my old blog posts, you can follow my recovery and see how much I have grown as a person.

I have a pretty difficult post regarding my mental health that I want to write over the next couple of weeks, so keep your eye out for that. I also have my travels to Fiji, Australia and Bali to share with you over the summer!

I know this probably doesn't sound sincere coming over a blog post, but thank you for reading this, and thank you for all of your support. Your comments and emails or private messages mean the world to me, and have really helped in my recovery. You're basically all my therapists that I just ramble on to for ages!

Lots of love as always, and as my Grandad always says, keep smiling!
What you are is what you have been. What you'll be is what you do now.
             - Buddha



4 comments:

  1. I was worried when I read your title - and confused because you didn't seem to be giving up on blogging recently!! I'm really pleased to know that you're continuing to blog, and even more pleased to hear how well you're feeling :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your growth!

    I'm so happy you used the expression 'at the moment'. Because depression is a bit like alcoholism - you're never completely cured or recovered, you just have dry periods.

    Of course, everyone's experience is different. I suffered from depression during my university years. I've come a long way since (almost 10 years have passed), I've gained extremely useful experiences and tools on the way, but I still have to watch out and take care of myself, so that I never again end up so deep down in 'hell'.

    But definitely celebrate!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, I've been reading your blog for well over a year and I'd hate to think that you would stop blogging just because you're not in the same position as when you started, but that's a huge positive and a reason to carry it on. The fact that you've come through that difficult time is something still to write about and to help others, going by your experiences. And to share with everyone what you're now able to achieve in the future.
    I'm so glad you're feeling better now, hugs :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do not stop blogging! Your blog is one of my absolute faves, I love how down to earth and honest you are. x

    ReplyDelete