Friday, 5 August 2016

Diving the Great Barrier Reef

We couldn't visit Cairns without seeing the Great Barrier Reef, so today we got on a boat and sailed about an hour away to do some snorkelling and diving.

I have never scuba dived before so was a bit nervous (I was way more anxious about this than my skydive!), but the staff we were with were really reassuring and I had a great time. We went with a company called Cairns Diving Company (CDC) and spent the whole day out on the ocean, and they even provided us with lunch and snacks.

Breathing underwater was such a surreal experience, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again now I know what to expect. We saw loads of different coloured fish under the water, including clown fish, and also managed to see an octopus.

We visited two different locations in the reef, and dived in one and snorkelled the other. The water was really warm and felt like a bath, and we saw some great marine life - although I think I preferred snorkelling at the Whitsundays, but that could have been because we were so lucky with the conditions and weather.

Diving in the Great Barrier Reef was definitely a bucket list experience, and I'm so glad that I plucked up the courage to do it. I can't believe that I only have a couple more days left in Australia!

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment