Wednesday, 10 August 2016

I defeated Mount Batur


This morning I begrudgingly woke up at 1.30am to climb a mountain. And believe me, I seriously considered faking a sudden onset illness and staying in bed, but I'm so glad that I didn't.

We set off in a taxi at 2am to arrive at the bottom of Mount Batur, an active volcano in Bali not too far from Ubud.


It took us about 2 hours and 45 minutes to gradually hike up the side of the mountain, to reach the top and watch the sun rise. I've got to say, it was one of the physically hardest things I've ever done, but was so worth it to watch the sunrise from the summit. Our guides also made us hot chocolate and breakfast of banana sandwiches and boiled eggs, cooked from the steam from the volcano, at about 6.30am.


We then started the slow process of making our way down (and slipping over about half a dozen times on the volcanic sand). It took much less time to get down, and we were so relieved when we reached the bottom and could pile in the minibus for the ride back to Ubud.


Excuse the sweaty mess that I am below, but we found some 2 week old puppies right at the end of our hike, which was such a lovely surprise! There were also some monkeys near the summit of Mount Batur, so being surrounded by animals made the walk much more enjoyable.


Afterwards I had a long sleep, and then had a wonderful massage which just topped the day off.

I am exhausted and up at 5am tomorrow to see elephants, so I'm off to bed!

Hannah x

1 comment:

  1. Looks gorgeous!! Well worth the early wake up call to see views that pretty, and puppies that cute. Have fun with the elephants!!

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XX

    ReplyDelete