Thursday, 25 August 2016

Pompeii


As we're in the Naples region, we had to visit the famous Pompeii really, so yesterday we got in the car and drove to the architectural site.


In 79 AD Mount Vesuvius erupted and covered the Roman town of Pompeii in metres of ash. It has since been recovered and opened to the public as an archaeological site to be explored, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


Pompeii was much larger than I imagined, and it was so interesting to wander around the streets and imagine what life would have been like thousands of years ago. There is still evidence of rooms such as kitchens and bathrooms, and some artefacts still remain - including plaster casts of human bodies.





I had such an interesting day, but if I went again I would definitely get a tour guide. I think they would be able to enlighten me much more on what I was actually looking at. Pompeii is definitely a must-see if you are in this area!

Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, I hope one day I'll be able to see Pompeii. I love your dress ;)
    Xoxo,
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. Your dress is lovely and your are very photogenic. :)

    ReplyDelete