Thursday, 4 August 2016

The Whitsundays


I feel like I haven't blogged in so long, but it's only actually been a few days! I definitely miss it when I don't have access to internet.

We have been sailing around the Whitsunday islands for the past few days, a group of 74 islands on the north-east coast of Queensland, accessible from Airlie Beach. We set off on Monday afternoon on the New Horizon sailing boat with a group of about 30 people.


We spent 3 days sailing, snorkelling, sunbathing and eating. The food provided on the boat was some of the best we've had during our travels! The snorkelling was incredible as the Whitsundays are part of the Great Barrier Reef, so the marine life is vast and there were so many colourful fish surrounding us while we were swimming.


We also visited Whitehaven beach, which is situated on Whitsunday Island and has been voted the 4th best beach in the world. And you can see why - the sand was 90% silicone so was pure white, and the sea was crystal clear. I think if you looked up 'paradise' in the dictionary it would come up with a photo of Whitehaven!


Whitehaven is home to stingrays and lemon sharks, so our guides showed us how to circle them and be able to view them up close.


Whilst we were on the boat we also saw loads of dolphins and whales, and a huge turtle. The whales were humpback whales and at one point we were about 20 metres away from a mother and baby floating at the top of the water - it was one of the most magical things I have ever experienced in my life.



If you are travelling the east coast of Australia I would 100% recommend a Whitsundays trip. New Horizon was a great boat to be on with really enthusiastic staff, and it was fun to sleep on a boat for a couple of nights. It is one of the best things I have ever done, and the things we saw out there made me realise how lucky I am to be in Australia.

We caught the bus up to Cairns today, where we will spend our last few nights in Australia. I'm so sad that our trip is nearly at an end!

Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds incredible Hannah! Loving reading about your adventures <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stunning! Looks like you are having a great time, and these pictures are stunning . I want to visit Australia now!

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XX

    ReplyDelete