Saturday, 3 September 2016

Coming off my antidepressants

Stigma around antidepressants

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram, an SSRI antidepressant, for over a year now, and just before the summer I decided that I would like to come off them, as I am feeling so much better.

So a couple of weeks ago I halved my dose to 10mg, by only taking one tablet every 2 days. As I have been on Citalopram for so long, it is advisable for me to slowly dose down, as suddenly stopping taking antidepressants can cause symptoms of depression to worsen. I am going to stay on 10mg for about 4-6 weeks, and then will go down to 5mg for about a week, before completely stopping them. (This was my GP's advice, but is individual for everyone).

Mood-wise, I have still been feeling great. The levels of Citalopram in my body should have reduced by now, so I would probably have started to see a change in my mood if my body still needed my medication at a higher dose. However, I have been seeing some side-effects. I have been getting horrendous headaches for the past week or so, which is apparently a fairly common side-effect of coming off antidepressant medication, especially Citalopram. I am hoping that these stop soon when my body gets used to the reduced levels, as they are getting a little unbearable now and I am having them most days. The first one felt like a particularly bad migraine - throbbing all over my head, and I felt like I needed to lie down in a dark room.

However I am optimistic about stopping my antidepressants, as I really don't feel like I need them any longer. I want to stop them gradually and slowly so that my body gets used to not needing them, and so that I don't get any more side-effects. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end of having to take Citalopram every day, and am hoping that my mood continues to be as good as it has been for the past few months!
Don't worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.
#projectsmile



1 comment:

  1. Awww Hannah, so glad you're feeling better! Such good advice to slowly reduce the dose gradually too. The first few times I was on them I thought I was cured when I felt better then just completely stopped taking them, obviously not wise and felt horrendous 2 weeks later! Hope your headaches are gone soon, honestly so happy to see that you're doing so well 😊💗 x

    ReplyDelete