Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Learning to become an F1

Next year, when I (hopefully!) become a doctor, I will be an F1, or a foundation year 1 doctor. F1s are the doctors that will spend the most time on the wards, seeing patients and doing jobs like taking blood and paperwork for referrals and discharges.

During the past few days I have been following an F1 doctor around the surgical wards, basically copying the things he does and learning how to be an F1. I have spent my time talking to patients, following ward rounds, writing discharges, ordering investigations, writing referrals, and carrying out clinical skills such as taking blood.

It has been so nice to actually feel useful for once! In past years I have just spent my time taking histories and examining patients, which doesn't actually help them that much as usually a doctor had already seen them, but it was useful for my learning. However I now feel like I am finally benefitting patients and helping the doctors out, which is a lovely feeling.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of 5th year brings!

Hannah x

1 comment:

  1. This was the best bit of medical school by far. And looking back, it was definitely the most useful!! Shadowing prepared me really well and made the adjustment to real working life a million times easier :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete