Tuesday, 20 September 2016

The 10 best moments of my travels


If you've followed my  blog since the summer, you'll know that I spent just over 7 weeks travelling Fiji, Australia and Bali. I have missed travelling a lot since I've been away, and I've been looking through my photos the past few days, so I thought I would share with you the 10 best moments of my travels. To be honest, it was really difficult to narrow it down to 10.

In no particular order (I couldn't choose!), here they are:

1) Bali - Elephants
I have always wanted to get up close to elephants (they are one of my favourite animals), and I finally got the chance to in Bali. They are such magnificent creatures and it was amazing to be able to bathe with them and feed them. This was most definitely one of my favourite days of my life. You can read more about the elephants here.


2) Australia - Koalas
Again another animal-related memory, but cuddling a koala has to be on this list. They were so fluffy and cute, and mine just basically sat there and ate eucalyptus while I was holding it. You can read more about the koalas here.


3) Fiji - Island trip
I'm not actually sure what this island was called, but I did a trip from Beachouse hostel there, and it was literally the most beautiful place I have ever visited. I snorkelled in the crystal clear water, and sunbathed on the bright white beach. And then we had a barbecue. Sun, beautiful scenery and food - I was basically in paradise. Read more here.


4) Fiji - Beachcomber Island
Beachcomber was the place that we found out we had passed our finals, so it will always have a special place in my heart. We partied a lot, sunbathed a lot, and met some incredible people on Beachcomber. Plus it was breathtakingly beautiful with turquoise water and white sand. You can read more about Beachcomber in this post.


5) Australia - Diving the Great Barrier Reef
Quite honestly, just to say that I have dived the Great Barrier Reef is incredible. I had never dived before and was really nervous, but I had such a good time and we saw some amazing fish. Definitely something I would do again. Read more here.



6) Australia - Fraser Island
Fraser Island was such a fun trip - especially as we got to drive 4x4s on the beach (Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world). We met some lovely people there (#scubs) and all got on really well, and we even got to see dingoes. Fraser's scenery is breathtaking, and it made me feel very lucky to be travelling up the East Coast of Australia. Read more about Fraser here.


7) Australia - The Whitsundays and Whitehaven Beach
During my Whitsunday Islands sailing trip I got about 20m from a whale. 2 whales, in fact - a mother and baby. Actual living, breathing, giant whales. We watched them at the surface for about half an hour before they dived back down, and it has to be one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life. We also visited Whitehaven Beach, which has been voted the 4th most beautiful beach in the world (photographic evidence above). I snorkelled, paddle boarded, sunbathed, swam, and ate some amazing food. Definitely a trip I will never forget. Read more here.


8) Bali - Mount Batur
Whilst in Ubud in Bali, I had the opportunity to hike up a volcano called Mount Batur and watch the sunrise from the top. It was a really hard physical hike up the mountain, but I felt amazing when I finally got to the top, where I ate breakfast whilst watching the sun come up. Oh, and I also met some adorable 2 week old baby puppies, which topped the whole experience off. Read about Mount Batur here.


9) Australia - Skydive
So this kind of had to be included, because skydiving will never not be amazing. I skydived over Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays this summer, and it's my second skydive I've done so far. If possible, it was better than the first - purely because of the scenery and weather. The adrenaline rush is also unreal. Read more here.


10) Australia - Byron Bay
And last but not least, Byron Bay. We visited Byron as our second destination in Australia, just after Sydney, and I fell in love with it straight away. Its relaxed surfer vibes were just what we needed after busy Sydney, and I loved spending time wandering the main street and looking in all of the vintage shops. We also surfed and visited the lighthouse in Byron, where we also saw some whales and a wallaby. Read more about Byron Bay here.

To be honest, I loved every single day while we were away, and enjoyed everything we did, but these were the top 10 that I narrowed it down to. Other days of note: Taveuni waterfalls, Taveuni natural waterslide, Beachouse, Sydney, the blue mountains, Noosa, the monkey forest, and Gili T.

As well as the places, it was the people that really made my travels. I met some wonderful people who hopefully will be in my life for a long time to come, and travelling with two the best people from university was an incredible experience.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.
                         - Susan Sontag
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment