Thursday, 20 October 2016

I want to be a real adult


Right now I don't really count myself as a 'real' adult.

I'm 23 years old, but I'm still a student. I don't have to worry about council tax or mortgages, which is great. But actually, I am ready to just be a real adult now.

I want to move out of student living and not have to share one bathroom with 4 other people. I want to actually have my own money and be able to pay my parents back for the debts that I owe them. I want to decorate a house and get a dog and have a routine.

I want to have the responsibility of setting up a pension scheme and a savings account. I want to get home from work and be able to switch off - not have to spend hours doing case reports and drug formularies after hospital. I want to be able to make my own decisions about what direction my life should be heading in. I just kind of want to be a doctor now, so I can actually help patients and not feel like I'm just getting in the way.

Don't get me wrong, I will miss student discount and not having too many responsibilities (and the endless nap potentials), but I feel ready to move on now after over 4 years of studying.

I'm excited for what next year will hold for me. Dr Hannah, here I come.
Always be a work in progress.
                - Emily Lillian
#projectsmile



2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean and I won’t give you the typical “don’t be in such a rush” that us old people love to use. Getting out in the world with real responsibility is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel - this was me about a year ago. All my school friends were "proper" adults, moving out, settling into careers etc. and I was still a student, still coming home to revise and still living in a shared flat. Starting work was scary, but definitely what I needed. You're so nearly there now!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete