Monday, 14 November 2016

Anxiety


I am very fortunate in that I am not an anxious person at all - never really have been. Even for exams I'm one of the most relaxed people there; it takes a lot to make me nervous. I didn't have any nerves at all for my driving test (until I thought I had failed halfway through!), and I found that I was really relaxed for my university interviews. I'm a very calm person that tends to work through difficult situations rationally, rather than panicking.

So it was weird that this morning I woke up feeling on edge. I couldn't shake the anxiety and felt like there was something wrong. I think I had a lot on my mind and that was making me anxious, but I normally wouldn't feel that way. I went back to sleep for a few hours and felt a bit better when I woke up, and got gradually better throughout the day. But I still have a slight anxious feeling deep down - I think I'm just a bit restless and need to get back into the routine of placement.

I've never really felt this way before so I didn't really know how to deal with it. Don't get me wrong, I know I felt nowhere near as bad as people with diagnosed clinical anxiety, but I do understand how awful anxiety must feel. Feeling on edge all the time is horrible, and I truly just felt like I wanted to get back into bed and hide away from the day. Seriously, hats off to anyone that deals with anxiety on a day-to-day basis - I don't know how you do it.

Depression and anxiety are two completely separate entities, although they often come together, and I am completely in awe of anyone that deals with both at the same time. From my own experience, depression is bad enough, but if you also had anxiety along with that it would be horrendous. I am going to spend the next couple of days reading blogs on anxiety, and how to manage it, as my own experience today has made me very curious. If you have any suggestions please let me know! You can read Emma's post about anxiety that she wrote for my blog here.

Here's hoping I get a good sleep and feel better in the morning!
When you can't control what's happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what's happening. That's where your power is.
#projectsmile



1 comment:

  1. I definitely think for me anxiety is the worse of the two- I find sometimes even food can make it worse! For me the things that help are baths, being very tightly wrapped in my duvet and lying on my back with my legs over my head!!

    I hope it gets better for you soon lovely xx

    ReplyDelete